The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials

I was fortunate enough to receive press passes for Burghley Horse Trials last week, which was fantastic. Huge thank you to the company that sorted that for me.

Unfortunately it does mean however that my full report won't be published here on my blog, as I was commissioned to go for someone else, so they have complete rights over my article. So for all those keen to read it, i'll let you know when it's been posted and point you in the right direction!

Saying that, I'm keen to share my experiences with all of you that avidly follow my blog and ramblings.

I had a superb couple of days there and what made it even nicer is that in all the years I've been to Burghley, I have never been on the showjumping day! So, to be there, 'working' and interviewing the riders as they're warming up and finishing their rounds was an absolute treat.

I was keenly following Oli Townend and his 10-year-old grey gelding, Ballaghmor Class from day one. I've been an avid Oli follower since the day I interviewed him and Geoff Billington years ago, in their lorry. What an absolute pair of jokers, and Oli is genuinely so down to earth.

How amazing though for such a young horse to show such talent over one of the most testing 4* courses? And for Oli to make it look so effortless and easy. I'm completely in awe.

I watched him warm up on his first ride, Samuel Thomas II and spoke to his owner, whom happily stood and chatted like we were in a coffee shop, rather than a collecting ring watching her horse warm up for one of its biggest events.

She joked with me that this was Oli's warm up ride, how she didn't mind and was rooting for him to win on Ballaghmoor Class. She then shared with me the greatest story of how Oli came to receive the ride of Samuel Thomas II - and let me tell you, what a nice one it is.

Then I watched THE round. I stood with all the owners, grooms, families... everyone. I stood at the back, whilst Oli rode such an inspiring round on Ballaghmor Class and there was nothing but silence. You could almost hear a pin drop onto the grass.

...and the crowd eruption when we realised he'd done it was just truly fantastic. Everyone was in tears, and it choked me up something chronic. It was fantastic. To see Oli come out of the ring, trying to fight back the tears (but failing), patting his horse and hugging his grooms and owners.... that was quite something.

I stood and asked a couple of questions whilst he was answering questions for journalists and one of the most awe inspiring comments I've probably ever heard is this one: "I looked around the collecting ring and I thought to myself, there's not another horse I'd rather be on."

Which I think says it all for most of us riders. We can win, lose, fail miserably, or do incredibly well...but if there's no other horse we would rather partner up with than the one we're on, then I think we're all winners, aren't we?

Anyway, so that was Burghley and I left feeling more than inspired about eventing, despite realising how far off I am from perfecting my show jumping to resemble anything these professionals can do! Next up is the British Dressage National Championships where I'm going for myself, so a report will be up on here following that. For now... have a good week!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig