When a BD rider decides to change the D to an E!


Way back when I used to love jumping, I'd often be found in the workers ring on my little 12.2h Welsh Section B Sara (who should get more mentions than she does), flying round the course. She was - and still is - a machine. We'd always go clear as she never knocked a fence, and always jumped what was in front of her if she felt you were with her enough.

We were workers champions three consecutive years, rode at Moorgreen County Show where we did a nice clear round in the 75cm class and were always coming home with red ribbons.

Then, one odd day in July, some 14 years ago now (oh my life I'm officially old!!), when jumping in the field at home I cantered towards a rather huge jacobs ladder, with my friend cheering me on and BAM. Sara refused, realising her small size would struggle to get over and instead I was safely deposited over the jump alone. Only for her then to realise it's okay, mum's done it and jump it swiftly after me, crashing into my face.

I can't honestly remember much else, apart from limping down the field, onto the yard and absolutely sobbing with a very funny looking arm, bruised face and cut lip. Someone shouted for my dad, who was off walking the dog somewhere and all I remember is breaking my arm.

Fast forward 6 weeks, having begged my parents to an inch of their life to get back on, my cast was taken off, I was given the all clear and my friend and I stupidly thought I should attempt the jump AGAIN, at the SAME height. My twenty-something-self is currently cursing my teenage self at her stupidity, but hey. I'm sure you know whats coming....

We cantered as fast as we could into the jump, and once again I was deposited the other side and this time Sara thought better of joining me and stayed where she was.

Anyway, another trip to hospital occurred, non-horsey mum was livid, shouted at dad that she was taking me on holiday in 2 weeks and now i'd have to go with an arm in a sling. Thankfully not broken, but badly sprained and ordered to be in a sling for 3 weeks. Not sure I took much notice of that though.

So, since that day my confidence jumping took a bit of a knock. We returned to workers, but didn't really attempt bigger than 80cm from that day on and I always avoided any kind of spread in any form. The sight of jacobs ladders made me want to throw up a tiny bit and you'd be surprised how many times I heaved my way around a show jumping, finished and almost threw up afterwards. Dad called it an embarrassment, I said I could'nt help it.

Anyway, not long after my love for dressage began and all things show jumping was put on a back burner. I outgrew Sara and never found a pony I really enjoyed jumping again.

During university I joined the equestrian team, and jumped for them. It was during th
ese three years that I found my love for jumping once more, but still lacked the pony that had the courage to take me round bigger and more challenging tracks. I was keen to get back into it, but just didn't have the horse!

....and then, as if by magic. Some say we were meant for one another and just waiting for each other to come along. Ziggy arrived! When he arrived we had no idea what he jumped like, but soon enough after we managed to get him going it was evident he jumped like a stag! Then the rest they say is history.

We're here. Ziggy is bold, brave - everything I'd hoped. Aside from being a little spooky, he'll jump anything I put him at. and me? I sit there and hope to God we get over safely, and slowly I'm trying to put my big girl pants on and go Eventing. My hopes of making him a dressage pony are far dashed as people have told me he's too talented to prance about all day.


So, here it is! Our challenge is a BE80. We've accomplished various One Day Events and all sorts, that Eventing is really what I want to do with him now.

However, I just need to cross a tiny bridge. And that tiny bridge seems to be the fact I now throw up when I'm competing over a course of jumps and several people are watching....

Anyway, follow our journey - it might be an interesting one!

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig