The 12 days of Christmas...2014 memories. The 4th day of Christmas

When thinking of what I could do for this years "12 days of Christmas" theme on my blog, Mark and I came up with several ideas for what you guys as readers would enjoy reading and what would seem dull.

In previous years I've focused on products that I would recommend using on your equine and canine friends, and the posts have always been well received. However, this year it's safe to say my blog has taken a very different approach. Ceaser's fan base has gotten considerably larger in comparison to previous years, and with the new addition, Ziggy, people seem to be coming to me to find out just how that loveable grey is getting on. Add this to the surprise Mark and I have coming up for you on the 13th December and we decided why not do a post every other day where I pick a favourite photo that means something to me and reflect on the memories I gained from it.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me: Saying good-bye. 

Originally 2013 - Dougie. 

I posted this photo at the beginning of 2014 after finding it on my computer and broke down instantly. It's hard to think that Dougie looked so happy, so content and so...well, yet it was a mere few days later I found him collapsed in the snow unable to get up and breathing heavy. As soon as I walked outside and found him in the snow I knew that very moment signalled the end and it was the beginning of a very long few days. 

I'll always wish I'd done more, I'll always regret some decisions I made and I'll always wish I'd done the inevitable sooner so that it didn't have to end like that, but I believe life takes us on certain journeys on purpose and I believe I was taken along that certain road to pave the way for something else. 

March will always be a hard month for me. It's the month I had to say good-bye to my Dougie after so many months of him being poorly, fighting to make him better, only for him to then get poorly again. I knew that day when I found him on the floor I wasn't going to ask him to get better again for me, it wasn't fair. I looked in his eyes and I knew he wanted to go, he was ready. I'll always be so grateful to Mark for sitting with me for 48 hours solid whilst we sat with Dougie, fed him carrots, stroked his gorgeous head and brushed him so he looked every inch of perfect. But most of all I'll always be grateful to him for allowing me to say good-bye and then allowing me to walk outside, whilst he held Dougie as he took his last breath. It sounds selfish but I couldn't stay, I wanted to remember him breathing and there. 

This photo signals so many happy memories for me. I was off work and I hadn't gone to university because the snow was so bad. I'd decided to take my camera to the yard and turn the horses out so I could capture them playing in the snow. I got so many pretty photos that day, of all the horses. It was the last set of photos I took of Dougie where he looked 'there', and looked like he was enjoying life. I remember him running around so much that day and flicking the snow up as he did. 

Cherish those that you love, because you never know what day will be your last. Kiss those that mean the most to you, hug that special someone or special pet for just that bit longer today. Cherish every moment that makes you smile and capture it all with a camera. Love life. 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig