Love for a horse and passing my degree!

I have always said if anything was to happen to Ceaser I'd do my best to protect him and stop him from being hurt. On Sunday I proved I would be true to my words.

The day started off relatively pleasant. I knew that I had a long day ahead due to one of the liveries coming with me and her test being at 9am and mine 1pm! I may have mentioned a few times now that Ceaser wont stand at the lorry on his own so I have to take him everywhere with me. When I did get to tie him up he was just getting fidgety due to the high winds and a lady had decided to park her lorry unbelievably close to ours and all her dogs did from the inside of her lorry all day was yelp and cry.

Anyway, my time came to get on and Ceaser felt brilliant when I was warming up in the indoor arena. His transitions were spot on and the walk to canter transitions felt brilliant. I ran through my first test, elementary 44 and then thought I'd let him rest until I was due to go in. That was until my partner Mark came in to the indoor arena and said it was quite windy outside so wouldn't I be best doing some work in the outdoor warm up. That is where things started to go rather downhill. Within 5 minutes of being outside Ceaser decided the wind was terrifying and I was nearly catapulted on the floor. Luckily I managed to stay on through a few big bronks as he bolted from one end of the arena to the other, spooking other horses as he went. After apologising to a few terrified older looking riders I managed to calm him down and get him listening.

One problem though about where we were competing is, there is a children's camp not far from the competition arena. Every time I have ridden in that arena I can hear kids screaming. So, add screaming children, high winds, a very high spirited Ceaser and it seems you end up with an Elementary test completed very quickly! Needless to say, we got a respectable 60.80% which is fair I think. (remind me never to give Ceaser electrolytes the morning of a dressage competition again - whoops!)

Next was the affiliated Prelim, which I think went and felt better. Although being the youngest and on the smallest pony by far is a little unnerving.  How judges can judge Ceaser, a cob cross Connemara against warmbloods is beyond me! Anyway, we came out to the other competitors saying they didn't feel like even bothering after watching how lovely my test went so that was nice. Still, I think the judge either disliked us or didn't seem to like ponies as we got 66.66%. I was hoping for at least 68% but I did get an 8 for my riding so that was encouraging.

That is when it started to go wrong. Everyone that was with me went to warm up and get a cup of tea whilst I took Ceaser back to the lorry to get him ready to go home. Just as I was putting his fleece on the heavy rain suddenly started and the pony tied next to Ceaser panicked and swung his bum round to Ceaser. I think he then thought the pony was going to kick him, tried to swing his bum round and reared up just as I was trying to push him away from being kicked by the pony. I think it must have bent my wrist back too far or at a funny angle. Initially I was fine but after 10 minutes my arm and wrist started throbbing and I was becoming increasingly worried as it was my wrist I broke twice as a child and had to have pulled straight due to a bad kick from my smaller pony as a child.

We took Ceaser back to the yard and everyone helped put him to bed so Mark could take me to hospital. Thankfully they found no breaks on the x-ray but because of the severe pain I was in put it in a splint and sling and told not to do anything (including riding, grr!) for at least 7 days.
Although the next day I could barely move my whole arm and a lump had formed just below my shoulder and I could not straighten or rise my arm, so off we went back to A&E where they x-rayed my whole arm this time. Again, thankfully no breaks but the doctor said due to the strain my arm had been through pushing Ceaser as he had reared I'd most likely done a lot of damage inside and it'd take 3-6 weeks to heal.

I've been told not to ride for this time or do anything. Although, I can tell you now, this wont be happening. I have an important showing competition on Sunday and will hopefully be doing it, whether it be through gritted teeth and lots of painkillers! Ceaser is obviously now having a few days but everyone at the yard are all being very helpful in offering to poo-pick, lunge and muck out for me, so he wont be having much of a holiday! Although, mark is being very bossy and is demanding I actually take doctors advice for once and rest. Sitting at home is driving me nuts so I doubt i'll be out of the saddle for much longer than a few days! I've competed with a broken arm before, so this definitely isn't going to stop me!!

Amidst the bad luck on Sunday evening, I received from fantastic news this morning that I have passed my degree in Journalism. I am so pleased and cannot believe its all coming to an end. I have had the most amazing three years and am sad for it to be ending but happy that its now time for new doors to be opening.

I would also just like to thank my lovely sponsors, Prime Equine for providing me with this lovely jacket! It kept me very warm (and dry!!) at the dressage competition and looks very stylish.
Check out my page on Prime Equine here: http://primeequine.co.uk/calendar/blog/five-to-follow/


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. ouch! hope your arm heals quickly! But well done with the dressage and battling through the winds and congratulations on passing your degree!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig