Real reporting time

Yesterday I was given a fantastic opportunity by Equestrian Life magazine to do some real reporting from a competition. It would be my first time covering an event I wasn't competing at and my chance to show I was capable in more ways than one.

Despite having one arm still in a sling and feeling full of cold I traveled to Peterborough to cover the East of England show.

At the beginning I panicked and tried to be everywhere at once until I realised I was being stupid. To sort myself out I went to sit in the press box and look at the schedule to try and get a plan of action in to my head. After ten minutes I had it and within half an hour had a fantastic interview that I was sure would be wanted.

Most spectators and competitors I approached were all willing to talk and let me interview them. I also managed to interview one of the judges and ask her why she picked the top three horses. Being a naturally shy person this is the part of journalism I first struggled in, but since starting university I realised the trick of the trade is to ask questions and don't be afraid to.

I will not reveal too much about my day and what interviews I got; for that you're going to have to buy the next edition of Equestrian Life.

Overall I had a brilliant time at East of England and met some lovely people. Talking to the judges enabled me to also pick up some handy tips for when I am showing Ceaser.

On top of this, the day after my university results arrived through my postbox I picked up Equestrian Life magazine from my local tack shop and was thrilled to see three of my articles published this month. This included my first double page spread with show results included.

I can only hope that opportunities like those I have already have will just keep on coming. It is the most weird but wonderful feeling getting a chance to do exactly what you have dreamed of doing since being very young. I can remember being 14 and seeing my name in print above my very first published article in Pony magazine and being so pleased. Although, seeing your name in print, in a magazine that you have read since you have been young after just finding out you're graduating; that is the best feeling.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

3 comments:

  1. It is the best and most wonderful feeling to realize a dream coming true. I will never forget my first day sitting down to read a legal brief about a disputed horse sale at the law firm I was working for; the feeling was incredible that I had finally found a way to marry my love of the law and my great passion for horses and the horse world :)

    Congratulations and keep up the great work!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous Sian, congratulations. Perhaps you'll get a chance to cover Burghley??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to both of you for your support. I can only hope there's lots more events for me to cover that aren't cancelled due to rain! Would love to cover Burghley! I'm going to the Olympics so will be doing something from there too :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig