Its a snow go!


This weekend may as well have been a total right off. I'm all for having fun, acting like a child again and letting 'go' every once in a while but one day is enough.
At 21 I feel too old to be hit on the head with a hard snowball, or face planted in the snow. Its just not as fun as it is when you are 12.
All the children at my yard in Lincolnshire seem to turn into demons when the snow arrives. In fact, they're demons at the best of times - maybe its something to do with these dark mornings and nights? Anyway, the snow arrives and they find it somewhat funny to get the biggest 'clump' of snow together as possible, aim for your head and throw. Bang, and they've got you. I don't know how they do it, but every single time their aim is 100% and you end up walking away with rather cold ears and a thumping head. When I was 12 (in fact it still stands) my aim was rubbish. I have never been able to throw a ball and expect it to land in the correct position. It always veered off or I just didn't quite throw hard enough. It is the same with snowballs. I aim, fire...and bam my snowball splats in front of my victims feet
rather than on their head. Good job I took up horse riding as a hobby and not javelin throwing!

So, with my weekend plans out the window I couldn't really do much this weekend apart from groom and muck out! Saturday I managed to get to ride. Ceaser was full of it, snorting as we walked around the arena, and it took him a good 10 minutes to settle before he started to work correctly. When I had a lesson a few weeks back I had a new riding instructor; Kate Knight. She asked why I take hold of Ceasers head as soon as I get on, and why I don't allow him to stretch for a few minutes whilst warming up. This is why. I will always take hold of him for 10 minutes first, as that is when he is most likely to be silly, snort and spook at the smallest of things. If after 10 minutes he hasn't done anything then you're usually safe and it means he isn't in a spooky mood. Kate understood where I was coming from and said because I'd had him 13 years now she was sure I knew him outside out and if this was the best way for him then I should carry on. I have tried to get on, allow him to stretch and then take a hold of him, but personally I have found that he has took this opportunity to be silly. Anyway, as I said, Saturday I managed to have a half hour ride. I had wasted so much time doing nothing on Saturday that I really didn't have time for much else. It was just so cold that all of us at the yard sat in the canteen eating chip shop chips and talking! I was also waiting for the lady who has just taken my 12.2hh on loan to come, so I must admit I didn't have a very productive day.

On the topic of my 12.2hh. I am so glad to say I have finally found her 3 amazing loaners. A mum, and two daughters. They are so sweet and seem to love Sara already. It did, I must admit bring a tear to my eye watching them both cantering around on her. I was the youngsters age when my Dad and Granddad first ppurchased Sara for me, and in the past 14 years we have had the most amazing moments together, but I know that she has to teach someone else now. Even though she's staying on our yard it is hard to take a step back, I could sit there all day telling them about things we have done together, but it is their turn to have fun with her now and make their own memories. ( I have included a photo of sara with her new loaner and then one of Sara and I)

Saturday evening arrived, and the temperature dropped awfully so I made the decision all the ponies had to have one extra rug on each. Especially Ceaser as he is clipped. That is when the snow started to come down, thick and fast!

Sunday morning we woke up to a winter wonderland. Everywhere was covered in inches and inches of snow, which meant one thing - the day would be spent doing absolutely nothing and a complete waste. Due to where we live, because of the steep hills, we struggle to get about when it snows. Our lane is treacherous in icy conditions and so all ponies had a day off work, and we set about just mucking out and grooming!
Luckily on Monday I managed to get on Ceaser for 20 minutes just to walk him around the arena. I do keep telling dad that if we had an indoor school I could keep Ceaser in constant work, but my 'subtle' hints don't seem to be working. Nor do the hints that a horse walker would be a fabulous idea. One day..

I am back at university now as I have an exam tomorrow afternoon and then I am meeting Clare Balding. I am so excited, she is coming to do a lecture at my University and I managed to get tickets to see it. I cannot wait to finally have my questions answered and will no doubt be the geek sat at the front asking every question thinkable. I will update about this tomorrow to let you know it went - I hope she wont mind posing for a photo just so I can prove to the (rather excited) mother that I did in fact attend the lecture! Mum has been badgering me to get in touch with Clare for months, as it has never been a hidden fact that the type of work Clare does is something I want to get in to. Although, try explaining to your Mum who doesn't believe in social networking nor understand the concept of it that Clare must get thousands of "twits" (yes my Mum really does call tweets twits!) a day and why should she respond to mine just because I want to do what she does.

Just before I sign off can I say a huge thank you to those of you who are taking the time to read my Blog. In the first month I have had roughly 650 views on here which is amazing. I am so glad the journey to me becoming an equine journalist and becoming affiliated with Ceaser is something you all enjoy reading. Thank you to those who constantly retweet my links to here on Twitter for me, and to those who access through Facebook. Please continue to visit as I continue my journey.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig