Dogs attacking horses figures on the rise


Last night I got asked by BBC Lincolnshire if I would be interested in doing a short interview on the Radio this afternoon regarding dogs attacking horses and of course I quickly agreed.

This comes just as two horses have had to be put to sleep in the last week due to a dog attacking or chasing a horse whilst in the field or out hacking.

In comparison, in the last 12 months there has been 250 reports of horses being attacked in the country. This is a figure that is three figures too many and needs sorting.

How many times have you been hacking out and have found a dog to be running in the direction of your horses four feet?

Not only is it scary but it can also be quite intimidating. If you don't know your horse very well then you are probably wondering what is going to happen or what could happen.

I personally don't agree we can direct the blame entirely on dogs here as dogs are animals that like horses follow instinct. A dog, if feeling inquisitive will run towards a horse to check it out and then if it feels threatened will of course go to attack. Doesn't every animal do that to protect itself?

I have been out hacking before when an irresponsible dog owner threw his dogs tennis ball right in the path of my horses feet. Immediately I had to pull my horse to one side which in turn startled him a little. Luckily he isn't the type to make a fuss of things like this although he does dislike dogs around his feet. When I asked the dog owner why he had done what he had and explained what the consequences could have been he simply replied "I have more right to be here than you". I was on a bridle way so in fact we both had as much right as each other.

In dog owners defense I have been on the beach before with my dog, we've let him off of his lead and five minutes later we have had to go running half way across the beach after him chasing a bird. We cannot control our animals actions, but we can try to prevent them.

What some dog owners do not also seem to realise is that horses can be dangerous animals too. If they feel a dog running between their legs then their automatic instinct would be to kick out, or move quite abruptly. Don't forget the way in which horses eyes are positioned gives them a 'blind spot'. What if they can feel the dog near their legs but cannot see them? I am sure if me and you were in this situation we would panic too.

No one can determine what any animal can do, us owners aren't able to tell you what our animals are thinking.

Owners need to be as educated as much possible and dog owners need to understand the potential dangers that can occur if they allow their dog to run at or past a horse.

In reality we aren't even necessarily looking just at dogs attacking horses. If a dog runs up to a horse and the horse becomes startled this could cause them to bolt, which could then result in both rider and equine injury. An injury that could have been prevented for the sake of a few seconds.

All it takes is for dog owners to be educated and aware. It doesn't take long to grab hold of your dogs collar should you think it could become startled by an approaching horse. Riders will be thankful for your actions and will most likely stop to have a quick chat. I often say hello and ask how the person holding the dog for me is; if they are kind enough to.

During my interview on the radio today I got asked whether us horse-riders think we are above everyone else because we are high up on a horse and dog owners are on the ground. I can't speak for everyone but in no way do I find myself thinking I am above someone just because strictly speaking I am higher up at the time on a 14.2h pony. We don't think like that and lets be honest, most horse owners usually own a dog too!

As mentioned before, dogs are like any animal and will do what their instinct tells them and if they become startled they panic. This can apply for dogs attacking horses legs or for horses kicking out at a dog too close.

This is a topic that needs looking at - in no uncertain terms am I aiming this post at dog owners or even horse owners. I am one of each myself and I see both sides to the story.

In a bid to combat dogs attacking horses the Blue Cross and British Horse Society (BHS) are launching a leaflet to enable dog owners to learn more about equine behavior and how to enable their dogs to become used to horses.

The leaflet is set to be launched at Crufts this week but can also be obtained from the BHS website.

We're all in the same boat; both owners, whether equine or canine. We are all out to exercise our beloved pet. In stead of your quiet afternoon walk going wrong, simply add a few seconds on to your walk by holding your dog whilst a horse passes quietly, it could not only save time but also a life.


Should you wish to listen to my interview on the Radio click here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00p3f53
For more information on equine incidents click here: http://www.horseaccidents.org.uk/About_Horse_Accidents.aspx
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

2 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read your article as i am currently recovering from a broken pelvis and crushed spine due 2 a fall from my shire horse who was attacked by 2 dogs whilst out hacking on a public bridleway. I think that if dogs are being exercised on public BRIDLEWAYS then they must keep their dogs on a lead. If this was the case then my frightening accident would never have happened! Thanks to an irresponsible dog owner, i am housebound, in pain, unable to work and earn a wage and wondering whether I will be able to go back to living my life as i did before ! Many thanks for letting me share my view on this. subject- Emily. emilymay24@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your interesting story, Emily. If only dog owners were made more aware eh? I wish you a speedy recovery, things like this shouldn't happen, we hack out etc to enjoy our horses and "get away", not endure things like this.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig