10 annoying conversations we have to endure with non-horse folk!

You can't deny we've all been there. We've all had those awkward conversations with non-horse folk about how it is possible for our horse to see out of their fly mask and no they're not cruel. I also bet I'm not the only one that's had to explain ample times you don't flick your reins and nor do you scream "Ye Haaaaa" if you want your horse to walk on.

All sport-fanatics get it and all are probably more than used to the hilarious and ridiculous comments about their sport, but it doesn't make it any less of a "wanting to roll your eyes" moment when the hideous and completely laughable comments do crop up.

In no particular order, here are the most 10-annoying things a non horsey person can say:

1) "Horse-riding isn't a sport. All you do is sit there and let the horse do all the work."

I'm sorry I must have not received the memo that falling several feet from a large animal isn't hard work, nor is controlling a large animal with a mind of its own.

2) "Oh you've written for Horse & Hound... how awesome is the film Notting Hill..?"

Please. I've heard all the Notting Hill / Horse & Hound jokes you can imagine. Yes you've watched Notting Hill, no it doesn't make you a Horse & Hound expert, so don't pretend to know the magazine just because it was referenced in a film.

3) "Ah you do dressage? That's the horse dancing isn't it? How do you make your horse dance?" 

The amount of times I've had to explain my horse doesn't "dance" is getting tiring now. Move on!

4) "Why are you putting nail polish on your horses toes?"

I'm sure my Carr & Day & Martin buddies have heard this one ample times! A) They aren't toes, they're hooves and B) it's not nail polish! I stopped explaining a long time that what we do is actually beneficial.. I'm sure my friends think I just do it to make sure Ceaser has "pretty toes".

5) "Oh my god, look at that baby horse!!"

*Face palm* it's not a baby horse, it's a foal. It doesn't take much brain power to remember this simple four-letter word.

6) "Why does your horse have a blindfold on? That's cruel"

It's not a blindfold. It's called a fly mask to keep the flies out of his eyes. It's far from cruel.

7) "Oh, you must sponge off Daddy"

Don't tar us all with the same brush. Not all of us belong to super rich dad's that can't resist the urge to buy their daughter anything they want, when they want.

8) "You must be rich if you've got horses!"

Actually I'm far from rich. My horse has new shoes every 6 weeks, I have new shoes probably once a year. Most Equestrians are normal and hard-working, with responsibilities and a career.

9) "Do I put my feet in these pedals?"

Pedals are what you push round to make your bike go faster. Stirrups might be the correct word you're after.

10) "Can we borrow one of your whips...?"

Just no.

Do you have any annoying things to share? If so, comment below or tweet me at @SLEquineJourno
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sian! I've written something very similar about this - isn't it frustrating!! http://bit.ly/1M99hQr

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig