Senior Inter-Regionals 2015 post mortem

Being told Ceaser and I had been chosen to represent the Northern Region at the Senior Inter-Regionals seems like a lifetime ago now. We were so very lucky to be picked to be on the team and the memories we made are ones that I'll cherish forever.

As soon as we received a phone call from Sarah, our regions Development Officer telling us we had been accepted onto the Novice Team we went into full on practice mode and in all honesty, I don't think I've slept this last month as I put all my time into preparing and getting ready. 

Ceaser has been working exceptionally well and the difference in his trot and canter work is different beyond words. The feeling I'm getting when I'm on him is something I've never felt before and I'm enjoying the whole ride. I would definitely say he's working far more uphill than he's ever worked which is fantastic. My instructor is also thrilled with his suppleness and how well he feels in the lateral work. 

The final run up to the competition was a little manic and wasn't helped by the fact that no sooner did I arrive home from the Inter-Regionals, I'd be jetting off to South-Africa for 2 weeks.

My good friend and Ceaser's massage lady, Amy accompanied us on the trek to Keysoe in Bedfordshire and kindly drove the lorry for me. As soon as we arrived we made ourselves at home in our tents for the weekend (Amy's was so small, I'd barely fit my suitcase in) and then took Ceaser exploring down the local bridle paths which was lovely.

The Friday you arrive at these competitions is always manic. Once the ponies are settled in it's time to head to the camp base and meet your fellow team mates. It was lovely to meet up with many that I had met the previous year and have a much-needed catch up accompanied by some wine and Arches. I was riding twice the next day; once in the Novice warm up test and once in the team test. My instructor had told me exactly what I needed to do to nail it and I was determined to ride three nice tests without worrying about the placings.

Ceaser warmed up fantastic for the warm up test. We were careful not to over work him in order to leave some energy for the afternoon test which mattered the most. I concentrated on getting him supple and engaging the hind end, then asking him to vary the speed within the paces, ensuring I didn't rush coming into the medium.

As we entered the ring and trotted up to C, Ceaser caught sight of the banner right under the judges box, spun round and tried to bolt. It was catching lots of horses out and we weren't the only ones that'd had issues trotting in. Reiterating my leg, I squeezed him on, ensuring his neck bend was slightly to the left so he could concentrate on me rather than what the judges were doing and their scary banner. Thankfully normality resumed and he quietened down after this, albeit with a little tension up at that end still, but nothing too noticeable.

To me he produced a nice test given how long I'd warmed up for and not focused on overtiring him and the slight tension we had in the top corner showed, so we finished on a respectable 9th - which put us in the middle of the class.

We had a few hours to kill, so Amy and I took the time to get a drink and some lunch whilst Ceaser had a well-earned rest before it was time for the test that mattered.

When it was time to get back on Amy told me to focus on still slowing him down and keeping him supple, ensuring I did lots of transitions, change of speed in the paces and flexing on both reins, but being careful not to coil the base of his neck in so he becomes tight.

He warmed up the best he's ever warmed up and produced some fantastic medium trots that left both Amy and I speechless. The plan had been to recreate that in the test but unfortunately it just wasn't our day and a break in the medium trot left us with some tough marks to digest. Overall we didn't have a good day on paper, but tomorrow was another day and it was finally hitting home I really needed to stop pushing him faster and faster.

By the time Sunday morning came around I had ridden Saturdays test over and over again in my head. I know what I needed to do and I also knew what I needed to not do. A couple of friends came to help me warm up and help me focus on slowing right down, tapping the hind to engage him and then asking for him to go forward. He felt much more free and relaxed and was giving me a much better ride than the previous day which left me riding down that centreline feeling much more positive.

The test was a hundred times better, we didn't break in the medium trots and the counter-canter felt balanced and together. Personally I think he really held it together and produced some much better work. I ensured I rode an accurate test as that's where we find I'm able to pick up the marks that he looses for his mediums. Finally we were halting at X and we'd managed to ride a good enough test to drag us up from lying in second to last place overnight, to finishing in the middle of the class,

I was really thrilled with how hard Ceaser tried for me, we couldn't have done any more than we did and to move up that many placings after our disastrous start to the weekend was great. Overall we had an absolute ball throughout the whole weekend and it was so good to catch up with all our friends and have a good gossip. For the majority of us it's not about where we're placed, but the memories we create throughout the entire weekend and the fun we have doing it. One thing is for sure, I always feel on top of the world when I go home, wherever we've been placed because Ceaser always tries his hardest and proves each time he has the heart of a lion.

After the weekend was over I spent the following week just keeping him ticking over before dropping him at my instructors for 2 weeks whilst I went away on holiday. Now i'm back we're competing this weekend in the training section of a novice class as I want to be careful not to gain too many points.

Huge thank you to Amy for accompanying us and being such great company. You can all check out her page out here!

Have a lovely week everyone!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! Ceaser looks amazing:)

    Charlotte
    Happyonhorseback.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig