Lesson on Ceaser - November

When my 'usual' instructor announced she was pregnant I was a little apprehensive about having to find someone else when she went on maternity leave. In the 12 months I had been having leasons with her Ceaser and I had both come on in leaps and bounds. She had encouraged me to do things I never would have imagined doing and our competition record had improved a huge amount. 

So, when I was on the look out for someone to take us on for winter I was a little apprehensive about who to use. I didn't want someone 'forceful' with Ceaser as many find it quite easy to be because of his nature. I wanted someone who took the time to understand him and  find ways with me to keep him motivated. 

When my back lady recommended someone she knew I was more than willing to give her a try.  

All this happened just as I started to have these forward issues with Ceaser and in all honesty, I felt so alone at that point. I was worried we wouldn't find someone who understand us and the difficulties I've had with Ceaser along our journey. 

Despite this, as soon as I had my first lesson I realise now I was probably overreacting - something I'm good at, and instantly my worries were a thing of the past. 


To get a feel of us she asked me to warm Ceaser up as I would when on my own, but I had to explain this wouldn't be my "home" routine. At home he's more difficult and what she was about to see was a good day because we were at hers and away from home. Despite this I set about warming up and instantly she noticed I rush him a great deal. Check - were always being told to slow down in our tests! 

Secondly she noticed I play with my left hand a lot, which check....is my awful bad habit! Alongside my heels...which yup she also picked up on! 



We did lots of walk, trot, canter and changing of reins and quite honestly I couldn't believe how quickly she picked up on Ceasers habits alongside mine. He tends to drop behind the leg and poll into canter and it's something I'm always losing marks on! He also tends to not work through and from behind on one rein more particularly if I don't watch him. Within minutes she had us both sussed and I was feeling suitably impressed. 

To start we slowed everything down, shortened my reins (yes I ride too long) and concentrated on just making everything seem easier and less like I was carrying him round. I explained Ceaser's need to be kept busy or we would have spooks and so we did lots of things to keep his mind busy. 

Within our first lesson the difference was noticeable and I went away feeling very inspired.

Anyway, fast forward to my lesson this weekend which was my third with my new lady. (Amy still hasn't had her baby by the way....were all watching facebook like Hawks so we can get glimpses of photos when she arrives!)

She wanted me to do some work without stirrups as I tend to draw my legs up rather than keep them long. We also focused on keeping slow and doing lots of transitions to get Ceaser off my leg. When asking for canter I need to push him on a little more so he can open his frame more whilst warming up. I tend to do everything in collected canter rather than working, which I think stems from having to constantly hold him at home because of how spooky he is. 

We also focused on keeping the outline and bend correct in both upwards and downwards transitions. If he came above the bit we flexed him left, right and then sent him on again. Eventually he got what we wanted and did some nice trot canter transitions as well as trot to walk. 


We did a lot of work in shoulder fore position to get him stepping under more and whilst we would shoulder in down the long side, we would then ride a leg yield across the diagonal to change things around a bit. It worked wonders and I had a much more connected pony working in a much better uphill frame. 

Although it doesn't sound like we covered much, the main focus for us has been to get Ceaser much more connected and slow his tempo right down to allow for him to use his hind more so we can get these marks we're losing for him not working uphill enough. We're also concentrating on getting less of a short neck appearance and really asking him to stretch into the contact rather than go into it like a coiled spring. 

To finish we worked on some centrelines and getting them accurate which after a few we had nailed completely. 

It's safe to say after 45minutes I was shattered and by no means finished. It was then Ziggy's turn for his first lesson away from home. But more on that another time! 



SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig