Polo lesson take 2 - "You've killed the pony!"

If you have been following my blog for some time now you will know that last year Mark got me a Polo experience day for my 21st Birthday. I had a fantastic day and since then have been dying to get back on and try it again. You can read how it went last year by clicking this link.

A couple of months ago we saw a voucher pop up on Groupon for the Vale of York Polo Club which allowed you to have a 2 hour lesson at a drastic cut of the price. Eagerly Mark got me the lesson and we declared we would go in the summer again.

Time flew and before we knew it we had an email from Groupon saying we had a matter of weeks left to redeem our voucher. After putting our heads together we decided seeing as we were going to watch HOYS on Friday we would then travel to Doncaster, stay in a hotel on the Friday night and then go for my lesson on the Saturday morning.

The Monday before my lesson and HOYS I came down with the flu and a chest infection which made me awfully sick, so it was touch and go whether I could go or not. However, it was the last day I could redeem my voucher, I had to go!
*

On Saturday morning when I woke up I had been hoping and praying for some sunnier weather to what we had been getting for the past week but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be and it well and truly was throwing it down. 

After a quick Hotel breakfast Mark and I set out on the ten minute journey to the Vale of York Polo Club. A warning for anyone going; it isn't signposted very well and our sat nav tried to take us down a back road which was clearly private. We think it was the back entrance! 

Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff which seemed to be trying to make our experience as best as they could despite the rather wet weather.

We were put into teams of 3 and 4 and in total around 10 people turned up to play. I was put on a team with people that had never ridden before. Well, they had sat on a horse, but never done anything more than a walk. For me this was a little disappointing as Mark had explained on the phone the previous week that I was a competent rider and had played a little polo before, so wanted to get the chance to 'do a little more'. However, my group was friendly and together we had a laugh.

The lesson started off with us on the ground learning how to hold the mallet and hit the ball in the correct way. As soon as I was given the mallet it all started coming back to me and I remembered just how bad I am at hand, eye, ball coordination. I have a total of zero! 

We were required to practise hitting the ball into the goal from half way across the indoor school and amazingly my team won this challenge twice! The other members may not have been able to ride but they could sure hit the ball. Even I scored! 

The instructor spent a lot of time going over the history of Polo and showing us that if we used the mallet wrong it could potentially cause severe damage to a pony - so it was important to get it all right.

After an hour of doing this we then went to fetch the ponies out so we could do some riding. I would have liked to have spent more than an hour riding but I think the wet weather made plans for the club awkward. 

Our team were told we would be going second so we watched the other teams jump on and go through some simple exercises of using and holding the mallet whilst mounted. The instructor used a lot of techniques we use when teaching the children at the yard to ride so I was confident in what I was doing. 

It amazes me how well behaved the ponies are. There was 7 horses in the small indoor arena and not once did one kick out or get grumpy that another was too close behind. I can't imagine Ceaser being that patient with lots of excited people. At times it was a little hectic as you had a mix of beginners and experienced riders together, which to me should have been split up in abilities. 

When it was our groups turn to hop on I ran (well, walked fast) to get the horse I'd had my eye on for the last 20 minutes. A lovely black mare that seemed quite forward and responsive. She was just as nice to ride as she was to look at. With a slight squeeze she set off forward and gave me a very nice ride. 

To start with we did some practice standing up in our stirrups and turning our bodies to warm us up for when we had the mallets and balls to use. The mare I was riding was lovely and had a nice even stride in both walk and trot. I wish I had gotten the chance to take her outside onto the field and have a canter, but I am sure if we go back again I could have a chance. 

Next we did some weaving in and out of obstacles to allow us to get the feel of the different way of riding. Once accomplished in walk we moved to trot and were told to do it all again. After this we were given our mallets and balls and had a few games of weaving our balls in and out of the obstacles against the other teams. I'm not sure whether it was the competitiveness coming out but I wanted to win each race - and I did! However, I soon learnt winning wasn't always good and was made to do everything twice after that because I was so fast. 

It really was a shame we didn't get to play a proper game like in my lesson last year but I do feel I learnt a bit more technique this time and when it does come to playing another game my hand/eye/ball coordination may be a little better than before. 

I think to make the experience better the instructors could have spent more attention to splitting up the rider abilities and maybe ensuring those who could ride didn't get put with the people who couldn't and visa versa. To be quite honest though, I think having been poorly in the week leading up to my lesson I needed something a little calmer than my previous lesson so it worked out okay in the end.

I honestly think I am hooked on Polo now, once I get a little bit of money saved up I will be buying myself another voucher. It really is something that everyone must give a go!

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig