Horse of the Year Show 2013

If you have been following my blog for some time now you will know that last year Mark got me a Polo experience day for my 21st Birthday. I had a fantastic day and since then have been dying to get back on and try it again. You can read how it went last year by clicking this link.

A couple of months ago we saw a voucher pop up on Groupon for the Vale of York Polo Club which allowed you to have a 2 hour lesson at a drastic cut of the price. Eagerly Mark got me the lesson and we declared we would go in the summer again.

Time flew and before we knew it we had an email from Groupon saying we had a matter of weeks left to redeem our voucher. After putting our heads together we decided seeing as we were going to watch HOYS on Friday we would then travel to Doncaster, stay in a hotel on the Friday night and then go for my lesson on the Saturday morning.

The Monday before my lesson and HOYS I came down with the flu and a chest infection which made me awfully sick, so it was touch and go whether I could go or not. However, it was the last day I could redeem my voucher, I had to go!

 *

HOYS was fantastic. We took a group of children from the yard with us which was nice. It seems like they all had a fantastic time and enjoyed themselves. I think for some of them it was overwhelming as they have never seen jumps so big, or riders so famous. Evidently it seems the way to keep them quiet is also to take them away from the yard. Don't worry though, Saturday they were back to non-stop talking!

Usually I go to watch the show jumping as I love watching the best riders in the world battling it out for the top prize money and rosettes. However this time I was keen to watch the Dressage Masterclass that had been advertised for the late afternoon. Last year I missed it due to spending far too much time shopping so this year I was adamant I was going to be there.

Upon arrival we found out it was the Eilbergs that were going to be hosting the master class which was exciting. I couldn't contain my excitement but clearly the kids with us could as 5 minutes before it was due to start they told me they were off shopping! I did let them know I was disappointed they didn't stay to watch something which could really help them. However they said "We'll be back for the jumping and pony games!".....what more could I say?

Michael and Ferdi were the two that arrived with Ferdi on the ground and Michael aboard a simply stunning 7-year-old chestnut mare. They showed us their warm up process with the mare and how they intend to keep her switched on but are being careful not to bore or ruin her due to her young age. It just shows Amy and I are doing something right with Ceaser as their warm up process was very similar to ours. Maybe this could be my claim to fame.....I have the same warm up routine as Michael Eilberg....Ok, I tried.

Every time the mare did a change of gait or showed us some lateral work the "ohh's" and "ahhh's" coming from the crowd could quite simply have made you believe we were sat watching the 50 shades of grey movie. Boy this mare is definitely one to watch for the future. They kept things simple enough so everyone in the audience could understand what they were doing, but technical enough for those who knew dressage to get something out of it.

Michael is such an elegant rider, everything just looks as if it is done with ease. If a chance arises to have a lesson with a member of this family then I will be jumping at the chance!

Thoroughly inspired I spent far too much money on Ceaser and Sara and in turn Mark also spent far too much money on me and Ceaser. We were spoilt and he treated us to a Le Mieux dressage square and half pad so that we look posh at our next dressage competition. I love the Le Mieux products and if I could afford it would cover Ceaser in them 24/7. Sadly with the hefty price tag I cannot afford to, but I now can't wait to use our new half pad and dressage square. Mark has warned me I'm not allowed to get them dirty. I'm under strict orders!

Although HOYS is a fabulous chance to do some shopping and indulge in everything horsey, it is also a great chance to have a look at new products on the market in the shopping hall and catch up with friends you haven't seen in a while. It was amazing the amount of people I spotted that I haven't had a chance to talk to for some time or even seen in years.

My new Headcollar
The rest of the day flew by, we had a brilliant time watching the show jumping, pony club games and walking past famous riders as we shopped till we dropped. "MARK, it's him.....it's...ahh...its Cian O Connor....there....look....were stood right next to him!" was embarrassingly one of many times I got a little star struck. I really should get used to this being a journalist as I never know who I will meet. Still, I think I am allowed to get a little girly at times.

The Supreme Pony of the Year; Nynwood Fantasia was totally deserving of the title. For a combination only 9-years-old between them they both exceeded their years as they came forward for the championship.

And that's it... it's all over for another year. Here's to 2014.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig