Going abroad doesn't mean you can't ride - Malta

Del and I
When I am booking a holiday my first thought is to look if there is a riding stables nearby, whether it be a trekking centre or riding school. It doesn't matter where I go, South-Africa, Malta, the New Forest or York - I want to be able to go riding at least once whilst I am away.

I started going to Malta every year with my Grandparents back when I was six. At ten or eleven my Granddad took me riding to a local trekking centre called Golden Bay Horse Riding and I was overwhelmed. Handing over his money to a kind lady (who I later got to know as Beverly) she asked me what my riding level was and I got put upon a rather nice looking dapple grey called Dappled that soon became my favourite.

Whilst Granddad went for a quiet walk on his own around the beach, I went riding. I admit back then I was rather nervous about being in such an open situation with a new horse beneath me. However, I don't know why I worried as Dappled looked after me. We were asked if I wanted a trot and small canter and of course I obliged, thoroughly enjoying the whole experience. We went over rocky paths that were only suitable for riding in a single file, we then all rode abreast whilst taking in the amazing views Malta had to offer and finally we finished off the ride by walking near the edge of a large cliff. I remember being so small, looking right down the drop into the water and not quite thinking "wow" but "Oh my god". Thinking back now the view was something out of this world and the memories I shared there with nothing other than one of the best and most important species in my life is something else.

*

Del - a Ceaser look-alike!
The following year we returned to Malta, just my Grandparents and I and of course Granddad asked me if I wanted to go horse-riding again. He knew me too well. Once again we returned to Golden Bay and I asked the kind lady if she had dappled still and whether I could ride him. Of course I could she said and off we went. This time we went the opposite way to before and again I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. We rode up the cliffs and over rocky paths once more, but this time to go and view the breath-taking views that over looked Popeye Village. Dappled looked after me just like had the year before and I found I was somewhat taken with the pony.

I wish I knew then that, that would be my last ever time going to Malta with my Granddad. There would have been so much more I would have done or asked him if we could do together. To me Malta is the place we shared so many happy memories and whenever I go back I feel I am closer to him than ever. I believe if there is an afterlife and Granddad is anywhere then he is in Malta, soaking up the sun and enjoying the breath-taking views and experiences that Malta has to offer.

*

Dad and me on Pepsi
When I returned a couple of years later with my Dad and between us we had shared many special moments in Malta with Granddad that I think both of us needed to return. I suggested we go horse-riding and for Dad it was a large step to take having not ridden since his horse, Bertie had also died suddenly a year before. I was excited at the prospect of going riding with Dad again having not done so for a long time. Upon arriving onto the Golden Bay yard again I was drawn to a stunning looking all black gelding that I soon learnt was called Pepsi. Without a second thought I wanted to ride him and asked the 'kind lady' if that would be possible. He's young she said - but if you're a quiet rider you should be ok. Dad was put on a chestnut gelding called 'Khalisa" that we soon learnt liked to trot and canter when allowed. The lady told Dad and I to go off in front for a bit of a canter if we wished to and as soon as we agreed I didn't see dad for dust. He was gone and by the look of his face when we finally caught up with him he loved it. Pepsi was a nice ride, he liked to jog but everything about him felt so elegant. Now I was a little older I was able to take in just how amazing the views in Malta were and how lucky I was to be able to share the precious moments with a horse. There is something about exploring new areas upon a horse’s back that makes it all even more special and something even I as a journalist cannot explain in words. All too soon it was over and I think dad must have enjoyed himself as he quickly booked us in for a sunset ride a few days later - on the same horses.

Depending on what level rider you are you have two rides to choose from. Anyone from beginners to experienced riders can go on either ride, but your experience will depend on what horse you are given or whether you are then put on the lead rein. They offer the 1 hour ride that goes out several times throughout the day or the sunset ride which goes out most evenings and lasts 2 hours. When we are there we usually go for a 1 hour ride, then a sunset ride and then I'll go for another hours ride on my own. 

Mark and me on Del
The sunset ride was out of this world and is something you have to go on if you're in Malta. Golden Bay Horse Riding are so blessed and lucky to have such fantastic views only a mere stone’s throw from their yard. I have never appreciated a sunset until experiencing it sat upon Pepsi in what felt like my second home Malta. The view was like something you only see in your dreams and the leaders of the ride know exactly when to give you time to take it all in. For me it was something I felt like I needed to do. I stood as far on the edge of the cliff as I was allowed watching the sun go down and as it did I whispered a quiet prayer and thank you to my Granddad for introducing me to this place and experience. On our way back I tried to take as many photos as I could whilst sitting quietly thinking about everything that happened in the past few years. Dad's horse Khalisa left such a special meaning in his heart and a few weeks later after returning home we named our new chestnut gelding, Khalisa after him.

*

The beautiful sunset through a ponies ears
Dad and I returned about two years later and this time I was determined to experience more of the ride than ever before. A much more confident rider now I told them I wanted to go for a good canter and as I walked onto the yard once more I was greeted by a lovely but very cheeky looking cob called Del-boy. Finally we introduced ourselves properly to the lady who we found out was called Beverly. Funnily enough she was from a place not far from us in Nottingham and it turns out she knew where our yard was back in England. This world is such a small one. Beverly kindly allowed me to ride Del-boy but again explained he was new and young, so he could be cheeky. I don't know whether it was the fact I had nearly lost Ceaser just a few months before but Del-boy attracted me instantly. He just had something about him I loved but couldn't put my finger on. Dad was given a large bay called Whisky which he thoroughly enjoyed. Together we went ahead of the group several times having a canter where possible. Del certainly lived up to his name as he had a couple of cheeky bucks which I am sure where nothing but excitement. I couldn't help but let out a loud giggle whilst asking him to go a little faster. The feeling of being free out there is so noticeable - there is no judgements on what type of rider you are, everyone is there to experience the same thing and it is a nice change from all the competitiveness back home. We booked in to go on the sunset ride again that week and then additionally I paid for myself to go alone whilst Dad went to the beach. It isn't often at home that I get the change to hack out alone with no pressures, so this was perfect time for me to think and take in the scenery whilst doing something I love doing. Beverly chatted to me when I wanted and left me to take everything in when I wanted. Several times Del made me laugh as we went for cheeky canters on the verges and when allowed. Looking out over the cliffs as the sun pelted down on to the water in Popeye Village I felt in complete awe. Again silently I whispered a small thank you to Granddad for giving me my first experience of what it felt like to stand up there upon a horse without a single care in the world. I didn't want to go home and if I could I would move my horses there in a heartbeat and live over there. Whether it's the connections of my Granddad or something else, I don't know, but something there makes me feel at home and relaxed like the world is my Oyster.

A mere few weeks later I returned to Malta, this time with the other half, Mark. I was keen to show him what Malta was all about and having already informed Beverly I was returning she ensured Del was saved and ready for me the days we were coming riding. It was nice to be reunited with the little pony that was my escapism for the holiday. Mark thoroughly enjoyed his time and although having only ever ridden once or twice at home Beverly looked after him by putting him on the lead.
Mark and me on Del

The moments you share up there on the cliffs with your horse or pony is simply unforgettable and I wouldn't think twice about going back to Golden Bay Horse Riding every time I return to Malta. Beverly and her partner who run the stables are nothing but professional and want nothing than for you to have the time of your life. I simply cannot explain the experience in any more detail as there really are no words left that can describe views of such beauty and horses of such patient and willing. For me it is also a chance to feel close to Granddad once more.

Dad and me on Pepsi
If you're thinking of going to Malta and like me cannot spend even 7 days away from horses then please try Golden Bay Horse Riding. You won't regret it and I am sure would remember it for the rest of your life.

Now...back to work...I need to get saving for my trip there next year!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig