Barely able to move after a dressage lesson

It's not often I have felt completely unable to move following a riding lesson but after training so hard in the last few weeks I think it has finally caught up with me. Yesterday I woke up with a sore back, stiff neck and legs that seemed to scream in agony and object every time I tried to move them.

I don't know if anyone can shed any light or recommend anything but I still get the feeling I may have a trapped nerve in my back or neck on the left side. My right side feels fine and both my right arm and leg feels stronger than my left when riding. On the other hand my left side is always getting stiff, aches after an intense riding session and generally just feels weaker. This has definitely shown in Ceaser's way of going and his massage lady always comments how more developed he is on his right side. I think what I could benefit from is a deep-tissue massage but whether it works is a different story.

The last time I remember feeling like this was in Year 12. I went hunting on the Tuesday and on the Wednesday in school I was barely able to walk, let alone put my hand up during the class. I think tonight I’ll have a long soak in a Radox bath to see if that helps. In the meantime if anyone can suggest anything or anyone to take a look at my poor back and neck in the Skegness area then please get in touch by tweeting me @FurryMane

**

My lesson this Saturday was very productive. I told Amy I didn't want to overwork Ceaser as he is really fluffy at the moment and in desperate need of a clip when I get my blades back from being sharpened. Our plan was to go through my dressage test in preparation for the Area Festival the following week. One aspect I wanted to achieve was a decent warm-up plan. When Amy asked me my warm-up routine I felt embarrassed to admit I didn't have one. I usually just see how he feels on the day and work my warm-up around that. However, apparently every horse and rider needs a warm-up plan, so we set about working on something that would benefit Ceaser before his tests, taking consideration for his age and how long we should give him to loosen up.

Amy thinks that lots of flexing to the left and right on both reins really helps him loosen up and start to use his hind end more. For the first ten minutes we spent time getting him working off my leg and stretching long and low into his contact. At first he is a little reluctant to work and tries focusing on things going off around him rather than on what we are doing, so lots of transitions and changing what I do gets him focusing. Once working into the contact, not resisting, I've walked, trotted and cantered on both reins and when I feel like I have 'got him' I give him a breather for five or ten minutes and then pick up where I left off, this time asking him to pick himself up more and work just that little harder.

This part of the warm up consists of lots of the more difficult transitions, for example lots of walk to canter and so on. Additionally lots of leg-yielding on and off the track a little further into the warm up ensures he is loose and working properly but also working to a higher level. If I want to 'pick him up' here so to speak then I can do. This basically means getting him working much more uphill, forward and off my leg.

Once we were finished he was already a little sweaty - damn that furry coat he gets from being crossed with a cob!

Whilst I had been warming up Amy had created an arena inside our ménage. Although ours is the correct size, 60 metres, we still wanted to create something I could trot into so it felt like I was doing it for real. As soon as Amy told me to start riding in the enclosed arena I could feel both Ceaser and I tense up. Our transitions were awful, his hind-quarters were swinging out and my riding was shocking. Amy told me to stop and asked me what had changed mentally in my head. Well....I'd just clammed up and riding in that arena had made me realise I didn't have long left to practice and how shocking we were.... (See, I really do have zero confidence and often need a good kick up the bum!). Instantly she managed to calm me down by telling me to trot on and regularly reminding me when to breathe and just enjoy it because I was only at home! Phew - not long after we were back as a pair, Ceaser was going well and his silly rider wasn't getting into a state. Poor pony and his dysfunctional mother!

Remembering to breathe and enjoy it I started to run through my test with Amy following my movements on the test sheet so she could tell me where to improve once I had finished. Surprisingly I managed to remember my test and I now know for definite that this is what is freaking me out - not having a caller for the first time in 2 years!! I'd only not had a caller once before and that was a one day event where I was under the impression callers were allowed until I got there and was told no we weren’t. You see then there wasn't much time to panic and so I learnt my test in 5 minutes. Since then people ask me why I have a caller and it is honestly because I get in that ring and freeze if I don't. So Sunday should be interesting.

Anyway, the run through of the test wasn't too bad. The arena we had created was quite small so some turns were tight but once riding in the full arena this would disappear. Amy noticed a few minor 'errors' which weren't anything I was doing wrong, just places where she felt I could get eights for instead of the six or seven I was. For example, the simple movement of riding across the diagonal, she told me to ride deeper in to my corner and I would more than likely get an eight. (Fingers crossed!).

After running through a couple of the movements alone and giving Ceaser a break we ran through the test again. This time with Amy shouting out occasionally to tell me to sit up, put my leg on or allow him to stretch more. Needless to say I was really thrown off then and didn't even get to the second movement without forgetting the test. After telling myself off and telling Amy I was just testing her I managed to do it again without forgetting. See... I was just testing her to see if she was watching...honest!

The second time felt much better: after riding deeper into my corners it allowed me just a few split seconds longer to prepare for movements and made a huge difference. It was the first time I had ridden without a whip - and without wanting to sound like Taylor Swift here - for like ever, so Ceaser was a little lazy but I can work on that this week. Plus he is always far too forward when out competing so I doubt I'll need my whip!



So, all in all I have no idea why I am aching as I didn't do too much strenuous work. Ceaser was good and I am determined not to forget this flaming test!


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig