200th post and a successful weekend competing!

Oh, where do I start? I am absolutely over the moon with Ceaser this weekend.

One of my very kind liveries lent me a Neue Schule hanging cheek snaffle at the end of last week to try on Ceaser after I had yet another moan that I wasn't getting anywhere with finding a suitable bit to dressage him in when we did classes under Elementary level.

After spending hours in my local tack shop and having endless discussions with people on the telephone and via twitter we reached the conclusion that if Ceaser goes so well in his 3-ring gag and show pelham, but not so well in a snaffle then maybe he needs that extra bit of poll pressure!

So, after weighing up the pro's and con's after being told by a judge she dislikes seeing horses dressaged in a hanging cheek (she judges me a lot!) I decided to bite the bullet and try the Neue Schule hanging cheek.

The results at home were fantastic, even when I popped him over a few jumps he wasn't too strong like he is in the normal snaffle.

To ensure I was choosing the right bit - and at a hefty price - I decided to look and see if there was any competitions I could take him to at the weekend as that's when he gets a little strong. I had the option of two; one, an unaffiliated dressage event where the judge could possibly be that doesn't like hanging cheeks or an affiliated dressage competition where I knew that jude wouldn't be.

So, I chose the affiliated one as I am hoping to also qualify for the Area Festival this year and need three percentages over 62% to qualify.

The venue I chose is lovely and Ceaser really seems to go well there. The arenas have plenty of room and when warming up you have the choice of a large indoor or outdoor arena, depending on what you fancy.  Mark also reckons the Bacon Butties aren't bad there too!

Ceaser has been living out quite a lot these last few weeks so he is really chilled which is nice. In fact that chilled that he had a bath and got plaited up Saturday night, all whilst not tied up and just tucking into a haynet (anything for food!).

I was hoping and preying his new, laid back attitude would carry on over to Sunday and thankfully it did!

We arrived on Sunday morning in plenty of time. My first test, prelim 14, was at 12:43 so I ensured we got there with an hour to spare so Ceaser could have his massage pad on for 30 minutes, leaving me with 20 minutes to warm up by the time we had tacked up and I had got ready.

Everything seemed to go really smoothly which I like. He warmed up well and despite the heat seemed rather switched on and listening to my every move. His canter was relaxed and he felt very free moving and like he was eating up the ground with every movement. I stuck to warming up outdoors as I thought that he would have to endure the heat during the test so I may as well stay out there instead of taking him away from it and warming up indoors in the shade.

Prelim 14 seemed to go well. The outside track in the arena was rather deep and I think he struggled a little compared to when warming up, but it wasn't a problem and no one noticed - I think I am just too picky! My entry down the centre line was a little rushed but I soon gathered my thoughts back to the job and ensured I slowed down - something I tell one of my liveries to do time and time again but am guilty of rushing myself!

My first 20 meter circle was a little on the square side but in all honesty I was too busy enjoying the trot and thinking to myself how fantastic it felt that I forgot to worry about my circle shape. Quick telling off in my head and I went back to concentrating.

The canter was lovely and relaxed, no pulling and no leaning on my left hand which he has a tendency to do - however I think the lovely massage Kelly gave him 2 weeks ago has helped sort this. She is a miracle worker!

I say it every time and all too soon I was trotting down the centre line and halting between X and G. This time though, with a huge smile on my face and a big pat and hug for Ceaser.

My score sheet was spot on and the judge picked up on my "odd shaped circle" and "hurrying down the centre line", but apart from that the comments were very positive and stated "much to like and enjoy".

There was no time to stop and think though as my next test was 1:03, so a quick read through prelim 13, breather and it was time to do it all again. The track was getting deeper and I must admit I am a born worrier so was a little nervy about him pulling a tendon in the uneven and deep surface. However, I tried to get on with it and this time made sure my entry down the centre line was much slower.

There isn't anything testing in this test for Ceaser so I made sure I concentrated on relaxing my hands, slowing him down and asking him to work from behind and carry himself. The give and retake of the reins showed he is getting there with a much more positive comment than some previous ones we have received for this movement.

Our marks and score really reflected the hard work I have put in lately on getting Ceaser working properly and carrying himself properly without me giving him a helping hand. I was quite pleased with the canter work as for once there was no pulling when it came to cantering along the long side.

The judge was most pleasant about Ceaser and I as a partnership and stated there was much to like about him and he was a joy to watch. My boy never fails to amaze me.

In fact, as I was walking back to the lorry and waiting for my scores I had two separate people stop me in my tracks to ask me if I was the girl who "rode the little coloured". They had both wanted to find me to tell me what a pleasure it was to watch Ceaser throughout his tests and what a very mannerly and lovely pony he was. What can I say, I was speechless, it almost brought a tear to my eye. There are some lovely people out there and for them to want to find me to tell me Ceaser looks as gorgeous as I think he does is really lovely and positive.

Anyway after not much for a wait we were awarded 3rd for Prelim 14 with 65% and I was shocked to find I had WON Prelim 14 with just short of 65%! Again, it was an encouraging outing with us being yet again the smallest in the classes and the only cob competing! We are now well on our way qualifying for the Area Finals as well!

I have been so nervous about getting him out and doing an affiliated Novice test but this weekends success has made me hungrier than ever to go and do it. I know he competes at Elementary at unaffiliated and rarely comes home without a red or blue ribbon but at affiliated the game is so much higher and the level of horses is so much more. Can my little cob do it? I'm more than sure he can. He has the heart of gold and together we can achieve anything.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig