Introducing the new riding school horses....with a twist, plus Ceaser update!

What a stressful few weeks I have had, it has been absolutely crazy. When Dad agreed we needed some bigger horses for the riding school and it was time to look for some I didn't realise it would be so difficult.

A very good friend of mine, Katie sent me a variety of links to a wide range for sale. It was rather difficult deciding which ones looked worth a view and which ones didn't. However we finally found a dealer that had a wide range in stock so we decided to go and view a few at a time with the hope we would surely find two we liked!

After trying about 8 horses in total, we finally picked the two I wanted, made an offer and agreed they would be delivered that weekend.

On the day they were supposed to arrive and after promising to clients they were arriving, we were phoned by the owners to be told they had decided they wanted more money for the pair - which of course we couldn't offer.

So, back to the drawing board I went and by chance I clicked on Facebook to have a 10 minute break from Pony searching, when I came across two black Irish cobs for sale. They looked fantastic and although were described as a little green, I decided to phone the owner on the spur of the moment.

Needless to say, they both arrived the next day after a 4 hour journey for a weeks trial. Some called me crazy for handing over a large amount of cash "just like that" for two horses I knew nothing about. I knew their owner seemed genuine and I knew they had both been in the UK for a short time after being shipped from Ireland just weeks before.

Two days after they arrived we decided to hack Buster and Rosie out to see what they were like. Our hack was going fantastic and the "cobs" were proving to be hits with us all. They weren't phased by anything spooky out hacking and walk, trotted and cantered in the open spaces with ease. Unfortunately though on our way back from the hack a car flew around the corner down a quiet lane, causing us all to come to an abrupt halt. Ceaser and I ended up behind Buster and the shock of the abrupt halt and Ceaser up his bum caused him to kick out and get my foot quite harshly.

I won't lie, it bloody hurt. Katie was worrying and wanting me to get off and walk back, but to be quite honest if I'd have gotten off I don't think I would have been able to walk back. Thank goodness I can trust Ceaser as all I could do to help the instant pain was take my foot out of my stirrup and walk back with only one stirrup. As I got back to the yard the pain was unbearable and trying not to cry I jumped off and someone took Ceaser back to his stable for me whilst I hopped to sit down.

Getting a firemans lift to the car from Mark!
Katie phoned Mum and I phoned Mark and after a good telling off from Mum that "Ballet would be a much more safer hobby for me to participate in", Mark took me off to A&E.....again. I should buy shares in the place.

Anyway, 2 and a half hours later, with a rather swollen foot, I hopped out of A&E with thankfully no breaks but a pair of crutches I had to use for the next 7 days. Needless to say I lasted 2 with the blasted things and instead took to walking on my heel. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to ride for 7 days but after 6 I got itchy feet (haha...excuse the pun) and got back on - much to Mark's annoyance.

After a check up today I have finally been given the all clear and told that where Buster kicked me is where quite a few nerves in your feet aren't covered by muscle, so it would be painful to receive an injury there.

To be quite honest I am just so thankful he didn't accidentally get Ceaser as the news could have been so much worse. I am just grateful I took the blow rather than my boy. I don't know what I would do if he had been kicked. I don't at all blame Buster as he has shown no attempt to kick out again and I believe the shock from the car flying round the corner caused him to panic.

So.... Introducing Buster!

Buster is a lovely 15hh, 5 year old, black Irish cob with one white sock. Although green he is proving to be a fantastic confidence giver and all rounder within the riding school. Buster will walk, trot, canter and pop a fence when asked. His manners are impeccable and in just two weeks of owning him, he has already improved a tremendous amount. I cannot wait to see the transformation in this boy and I am sure he is going to be a lovely show prospect.

Rosie.

Rosie is a gorgeous, 15.2hh , 7 year old black Irish cob with four white socks. On the day Rosie arrived I told my friend there was something special underneath all that hair and how right I was. When she arrived Rosie was very unfit and struggled to canter a circle. In just two weeks she is proving to be a fantastic little show horse and I have claimed her as a project for dressage. She will stay in the riding school for a while as I believe it doesn't harm any horse to work in a riding school for a while, but then I hope to be able to compete her. I have my eye on this little mare as I believe she will go far. She is a responsive, forward going ride that requires very little contact to work on the bit. Again, like Buster, although she is green she is very willing and so eager to learn. In just two weeks she is showing great promise on the flat for dressage but also for the riding school.
I have taken over schooling her now and I cannot wait to keep updating you with her progress.


You have probably noticed the two new ones look exactly like Sooty! It is rather uncanny of how we now have three very similar looking horses. Many of our clients cannot tell them apart yet - we like to confuse!

**

I am finally pleased to be able to report that I think I have found the right bit for Ceaser. But boy does that pony have expensive tastes! One of our full liveries has allowed me to try their Neue Schule bits and so far he seems to be loving it.

Ergonomically designed, curved and lozenged, the Neue Schule offers a warmer, softer metal with a very high copper content which promotes salivation, mouthing, acceptance and communication.

I will keep you updated with his progress in this bit, but I am hoping we have finally cracked it. Our dressage results this weekend will show us the end result!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig