Huckleberry-Finn's Total Hip Replacement (THR) - Part 4 (2 week post op)

This feels unreal to be saying, but we are TWO weeks post Total Hip Replacement and it stitch removal day. I can't believe we're here already. Two weeks ago it felt like today would never come, and it felt like stitch removal day was so far into the future, that I couldn't think about it. 


This last week has been a lot mentally. It felt harder than week 1 because each day that passed, Huckleberry was feeling more and more good, and wanted to do more. Which of course is great, but equally, he's tried to chase Bumble Bee's, Cats and jump up when he sees Mum or me come home from being out for an hour. He sits down as normal, spins in his bed scratching it up and is acting like he's never had surgery. 


Again, all such a positive step in the right direction but my nerves have completely been tested. All weekend I didn't take my eyes off him making sure he didn't chew his stitches, and by Monday I thought we had this down to a tee. He hadn't tried to touch them, and I felt safe I could sit on the sofa and do some work without needing to sit in his pen. How wrong was I... 


I'd been for a shower, and just sat down to do some work emails, when I heard a rather loud chomp, and looked over at Huckleberry's leg to see it bleeding. Not a lot, and by no means bad, but his operation site was red at the bottom and he had definitely pulled a stitch. Which resulted in a call to the referral vets, who then said I needed to take him to my local vets for a quick check up to ensure one stitch didn't need redoing, or he hadn't caused any damage. 


Which resulted in the most stressful couple of hours ever. Huckleberry was a nervous wreck at the vets, worse than ever. Usually he jumps up at me and sits on my knee in the waiting room, which of course we couldn't allow. He was trembling, tail between his legs and pulling me in all directions - something he's obviously not allowed to also do because of the slippy floor. 


The vet nurse was absolutely lovely and I cannot fault her in anyway, she tended to Huckleberry calmly, sweetly and was in no rush to look at him. She fussed him, made him feel at ease and did all the necessary checks, which was nice. I had a little cry whilst in there and said this all just felt A LOT, like I'm responsible for this dogs hip failing or being a success and it felt like I had a heck of pressure sat on my shoulders. She spent a while talking to me and just basically giving me a break, which I was so grateful for and I will make sure I get her name when I'm back. 


Anyway, we were given the all clear, I purchased a medical suit and off we went home. By this point my head was throbbing, I needed nothing other than a good cry and Huckleberry was fast asleep after stressing him out so much. 


It may seem dramatic but the weight on my shoulders felt heavy. Rightly or wrongly, I felt and do feel responsible for Huckleberrys hip being a success or failure. I am doing everything in my power to keep him safe, prevent him from doing everything he normally does and trying to make sure we are a success story. But, he's a dog, and dogs want to chase Bee's and Cat's, and jump up when they see their owners.... 


As he can't be left at all, we are tag teaming to look after him. It's recommended that Total Hip Replacement patients aren't left alone at all, so when I'm not there, then Mum or Mike is but obviously and naturally it falls to me to do the majority. By Tuesday the pressure was intense, I had pulled something in my neck and was in insane pain from what felt like a trapped nerve. My panic at having to leave him the follow day with Mum whilst I went to London with work was looming, and I spent quite a bit of Tuesday crying and things weighing heavy. Lack of sleep, anxiety and it all was really beginning to build.


*

Wednesday came and although I was angry that I had to go into London with work and spend the day away from him, I was so grateful. I managed to catch some sleep on the train both ways, and had a thoroughly enjoyable day with my colleagues, whom all couldn't have been anymore understanding. I had a lovely chat with my boss, who made some slight changes to my schedule over the next 4 weeks, and a weight was instantly lifted. I know many wont have understanding jobs, but I feel lucky to be in this position and be surrounded by encouraging and supportive people. 


Thursday and Friday were better days and soon enough it was the weekend. Although we're only 2 weeks in, Huckleberry's fur is growing back at a fast rate and his wound has healed nicely. I feel like we're passing Hurdle 2 in this whole scenario and the next hurdle is to get to our 3 week post op check with our surgeon. Although I've sent him videos of Huckleberry walking all week, I don't think my anxiety will truly go away until I get in that room with him and get to speak to him face to face and hear the words "He's doing good". But for now, I don't want to get too excited and our appointment isn't until a week Wednesday so we've got 8 days yet to go! As we all know, a lot can change in 9 days, so as I have throughout all of this, I'm just taking a day at a time. 


The weekend came and went in a flash and Huckleberry and I spent the majority of it at home watching rubbish Netflix TV and keeping this blog. Mike and I managed to get an evening out on Saturday for a meal whilst Mum came over and looked after Huckleberry which was lovely. It was nice to get a bit of a break and have some normal conversation whilst out the house! 


I was excited for stitch removal day on Monday and although there was almost a little mess up with the appointment, we got in and had them removed. The area looks fantastic and I will forever be grateful to the surgeon for how neat of a job he's done. There seems to be a little crusting and bumps but the vet nurse was sure that was from the dissolvable stitches underneath the skin. He sat like such a good boy whilst having them removed and didn't flinch at all. 


Although Monday was a day of positives with the stitches, I also feel it was a day of two halves as I noticed that Huckleberry was bunny hopping a lot. Immediately I contacted the surgeon and asked him if this meant we would definitely need the Luxating Patella surgery. He said he couldn't comment until week 6-12 and I needed to let everything heal as it was doing until then. He always made it clear if Huckleberry needed it, we would have the next surgery around month 6 of recovery. I guess Monday just felt a little crap because I was finally starting to see the light, and then it almost felt like it was confirmed we would need the next surgery. 


BUT, alas, I need to put a halt on that and focus on recovery for this now... 


So... onto week 3! 


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig