Workers pony in the making...

Ceaser has always had a decent pop in him when it comes to jumping but unfortunately since my accident on Sara when I was 14 I prefer to keep all-four feet on the ground if it means going over anything bigger than 3ft!

So, when it was suggested to me by a friend that Ceaser's cheeky behaviour lately may be because he's bored of schooling I admit, I did a panic a little!

Jump him more? But I'm a dressage rider!

My fear of spreads and parallels has only gotten worse since my accident and rather wrongly, I have never done anything about it. Therefor when it was suggested to me Ceaser may start concentrating more when I give him "other" things to think about other than schooling, I decided to scrap showing this year and concentrate on working-hunter and dressage.

I used to love doing workers classes on Sara in our younger days and we competed all over Nottinghamshire at both local and county level. However, I gave that up for dressage and showing, but am keen to get back in to it.

A good friend of mine, Kathryn offered to help me combat my jumping fears in return for me helping her with her ponies and I have since been having twice weekly jumping lessons.

They have been going fantastic and instead of just putting up jumps and making me jump them, Kathryn has been introducing different methods to help me get over my bug-bearer!

The first lesson was quite an eye opener for me. When I mounted Kathryn told me there was no way I was jumping with my stirrups that long and put them up 4 holes. I am sure I do not need to tell you how uncomfortable it was to begin with as you all know I am used to riding rather long for dressage!

To start simple, Kathryn then put two jumps on a 20meter circle for me and we started by simply trotting and cantering over small poles in jumping position - which was a little rusty!

Once I had gotten back into the swing of things she put them up and eventually made a double with the simple one stride between. Ceaser was getting quite excited and throwing in the odd buck here and there whenever he got a little full of himself. To finish off the lesson we did the double in a forward canter, and without hesitation Ceaser popped one stride in the middle, as appose to his two he usually gets in because his canter is so collected!

I must admit, for the next 3 days I could barely move and ached from head to toe. I honestly do not think there was a part of me that didn't ache or hurt in some way. But, no pain no gain and my next lesson was just around the corner.

Kathryn knows I do not enjoy jumping and would prefer to school and perfect my dressage moves everyday, so she decided to get us doing some "flying changes" over jumps so I was helping my dressage at the same time. In order to do this she put three jumps over the centre line so I had to ride a three-looped serpentine and jump a jump each time I crossed the centre line. For the final jump she made a spread, but the opposite way round so to me it looked like a simple upright. (I know, I know, you shouldn't jump like this, but needs must!)

In the beginning I was getting quite frustrated that Ceaser was getting a little ahead of himself and not really thinking about each jump and changing legs. Kathryn said she noticed that he really waits for me to say "No, come on, it's fine" and looks after me if I muck up. She also said that if I kick on for a long or short stride he does it - without hesitation. I suppose I couldn't ask any more from him and I have known all along it is my fear that stops us from having more fun jumping. I also noticed that I was holding him back towards the middle of the arena, because that is where he has been spooking and bolting a lot. Kathryn also noticed that I tend to hold back a little and not push Ceaser on enough, which makes the jumps feel very uncomfortable. My goal now is to kick on more, believe in myself and look up.

After a while he got what was I was asking and we were riding the three looped serpentines whilst changing the leg over each jump. I must say, it is such an exciting feeling to finally 'get' something after you have disliked it for so long. In my head I was forgetting about the fact I was jumping and concentrating so hard on my flying changes - so it really did help!

After the second lesson I decided to test the waters and go to a local show and do a working hunter class. All I wanted to do was get round the course clear with no naughty stops or spooks on Ceaser's behalf. Kathryn was also going, so there would be no time for me to stop kicking on - oh and looking up!

After a quick discussion with her, we decided to stick ourselves in the 55cm and 65cm class. Ceaser warmed up brilliantly and when I saw the 55cm class it looked too small, but as not to add the pressure on we stuck to that class. He was really picking his feet up over the jumps and with my more positive riding he felt fantastic.

The course was quite simple, but had a lot of scary fillers in like a water tray, skinny, whistling gnome (don't ask!), windmill, artificial flowers and more. I didn't walk the course so I couldn't look at them and think "Oh, that's a parallel and that's a spread", instead I just watched others and remembered the course that way.

Once in the arena I forgot about looking posh, which has been my problem and kicked on. Coming up to the first fence I felt Ceaser back off a little but ensured I was positive and gave him a small smack on the shoulder to say "no, come on we're doing this" and he flew! Before I knew it we were over all the jumps and I hadn't even realised one of them was a small spread. He even flew over the skinny water tray, which he usually hates! So, it is all me....

Next up was my chance to redeem my shocking jumping position over the course and do our show piece. Ceaser felt fantastic and was listening to my every aid. For the first time in a while he really opened up in the medium trot and gallop to show just how he can move.

There was some strong competition in the class so I was over the moon when the judge pointed towards me to take the top spot. In fact I even looked to the person next to me because I thought she was pointing towards her!

The second class went just as well but unfortunately the poles were so thin that he rolled a pole, whereas everyone else went clear. Despite this I was still thrilled with how well he had gone and for not hesitating at any of the fences.

Since starting to jump more we have had no spooking, bolting or bucking so I am rather pleased. Ceaser's schooling work is also coming on a treat and I was pleased to find out we have qualified for the Hickstead dressage semi-finals. But, we won't just be training for the semi-finals by schooling, we'll be jumping too!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear that you're getting your confidence back jumping! Good luck for over the summer :) x

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig