A day on the dark side. A day of being a reporter and not a competitor

Once again this weekend I found myself on the other side of the ring as I was sent by Equestrian Life magazine to report on The Horse Parade Championships held at Ledstone in Yorkshire.

I find it so different (albeit weird) being on the other side of the ring, trying not to get involved with ponies not cooperating and simply sticking to doing what I am there to do - report.

A prime example of my eagerness to be involved showed when I asked a competitor on a large hairy coloured horse whether I could take her photo. Of course she obliged and before my photographer went clicking away I scurried to the rather stunning horse and sorted his mass of mane and forelock out, ensuring it laid correctly.

Another example is when a young horse wouldn't go into the indoor arena because of the loud clapping and music. I was itching to help and even my partner, Mark saw this and said "Don't get involved, I can see you're dying to."

What can I say? I am shamefully one of these people when out competing that will offer my chifney out for people to use if they're struggling to load a horse. Or, like when we were at Elms Farm a few weeks ago and a stubborn chestnut mare (says it all!) wouldn't load in her box; there I was behind it with a lunge line and the darling pony wearing my chifney. I can't help it.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, it was nice to be on the other side for once, dressed up in decent (ish) clothes, not worrying whether or not my classes were clashing or when I was due to go in to the ring next. I could have lunch when I wanted and actually sit down! Trust me, this never usually happens when I go out showing.

Once again I was extremely overwhelmed by the amount of people that approached me, wanting to tell me their story and publish photos of their children in the magazines. Every individual I interviewed seemed more than happy and impressed to find they would be appearing in Equestrian Life magazine. Supportive parents couldn't thank me enough for agreeing to take photos and interview themselves or their children.

It is lovely to try and make someones day just that little bit more special and despite promising I can only try and get their photo in Equestrian Life, nonetheless they were still very thankful and willing to chatter as long as I would keep on asking the questions.

I must admit when I first started reporting at the showing shows I felt a pang of guilt that I wouldn't be there with Ceaser, but whilst I am there alone without him I am still learning. (and lets face it - he's usually with me!)

In fact, today I learnt that for proper TGCA (Traditional Gypsy Cob) classes, the horses feather should reach the end of its hoof. If it doesn't then the judge will mark it down; its as simple as that. In all honesty I thought feather was feather! But no, if you wish to affiliate your gypsy cob and do well, then its feather has to be of a certain length. As well as this, mane and tails should be left un touched and barely trimmed. If the judge spots straight lines on the horses mane, tail or forelock where they have clearly been trimmed, then again, you will be marked down.

I wont give too much away on the show as for that you will need to buy Equestrian Life magazine: http://www.equestrianlifemagazine.co.uk . The full show report will be in next months edition.

All I can say is, despite the show being unsubscribed due to the lovely British weather and the fact it was rescheduled, everyone seemed to have a pleasant and enjoyable day. Well done to all.


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig