The Pony Club Championships held at Cholmondeley Castle

This week I am in Chester on behalf of Equestrian Life magazine reporting on The Pony Club Championships held at Cholmondeley Castle.

As I am ushered in to lunch to be seated at the "sponsors and media" table I realise just how lucky I am to already have such fantastic opportunities within my career. Everyone is lovely and the rest on our dinner table are keen to find out what I do.

The atmosphere outside is absolutely amazing and all the children are keen for me to take photos of them and their four legged animals whilst we chat ponies and show results.

The championships include all Pony Club disciplines from mounted games to Centre Equitation where young riders without a horse or pony get to compete by representing their riding school or centre.

I am thrilled that even those without a horse or pony get the opportunity to compete at such a prestigious event and also get the chance to feel the buzz of a competition.

The mounted games is absolutely fantastic and the atmosphere around the ring is electric. The view of children standing in their stirrups screaming for their team mates to come home before the other team is a familiar one with on lookers.

I am struck by one team, who when I interview them seem a lovely bunch. They are all so eager to talk and tell me not only of their achievements during today but also of last week and two months ago. I even learn of all the names of their ponies at home and whether or not they help mum with the mucking out.

Admittedly they even manage to make me laugh at their stories and at the end I found myself joining in with their trainer shouting for them to win.

This seems a world away from looking for office based journalism jobs and it makes me want to be a freelance journalist so much more.

I cannot wait to go back to tomorrow to do yet some more reporting and hope I am again surrounded by enthusiastic young riders willing to share their stories.

To read a full report of The Pony Club Championships please ensure you buy the next edition of Equestrian Life magazine which is out at the beginning of every month.

http://www.equestrianlifemagazine.co.uk


If you're competing at the championships please do not get hesitate to tweet me at @FurryMane and I will endeavour to arrange to meet you to take some photos.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig