Pony riding VS Horse riding


I can't say too much on this topic because I have recently just been interviewed by a magazine for the same thing but I wanted to discuss "adults riding ponies" and what people think of it.

As you may know by now, I am a pony rider. I show ponies and compete in dressage competitions and veteran showing classes with my very own 14.1h coloured cob cross, Ceaser.

Today at my universities final BUCS equestrian competition of the season I was unlucky enough to draw the same horse I did last year at Leicesters home yard for dressage.

My horse was a 16.3h ex hunter and eventer and very powerful. Last year when I rode him he sadly had cancer of his eye and I was upset to find he had unfortunately had to have his eye removed. Although this doesn't stop him from working and he still loves dressage.

I knew from how the ride on him last year went that I would have my work cut out. I am a very slim size 6/8 and only 5ft 6 so I don't have a lot of weight behind me. Breaking both wrists two or three times hasn't helped either and put on something that big I look like a pea and just can't get my weight behind it to make it work.

My horse produced three satisfactory dressage tests for the other girls who rode him and all got off saying how awful he was. To me they had done a good with him and being last to ride him I really did have my work cut out.

As soon as I got on he was rearing to go. Despite wearing a flash noseband he still manages to grit his teeth together and lean on the bit. The rein in which he has lost his eye is very stiff and I just knew I wasn't going to do very well. No matter how much I asked for him to soften he didn't and the more I pushed forward and asked for him to soften and come down on to the bit he wouldn't and got more angry. I tried to push on through his tantrum but I just wasn't strong enough to hold and support his weak left side at the same time.

I felt like I really wanted to wrap my legs around him and almost support that weaker rein, whilst asking for more impulsion from him but at the same time ask him to go rounder and soften rather than tensing. I can understand from the horses point of view that softening and going rounder may put himself in a vulnerable position.

We went in and produced a rather tense test. It has to be the worst test I have ever ridden. Every movement I asked for he would resist and go above the bit as to ignore my aids. I think he only managed to soften on every few strides but would still soon resist. I feel if I had more weight behind me like the other girls I could have used it to my advantage but I have none there to use!

My Jumping went very differently. There was a variety of horses available to draw out of the hat and again I was willing to not pick the big 17h ex 2* eventer. I've seen him jumped before and knew I wouldn't gel again. Also in the mix was a 14h pony club pony that had a cracking pop on it. I was lucky enough to pick the pony and was happy with my draw.

We went on to produce a fantastic round and I felt in my comfort zone once more.

So this brings me to my topic. What are peoples opinions on adults riding ponies? Often when I arrive at a show or dressage competition I can see people looking and laughing when I bring Ceaser off the lorry. Most are probably thinking "How the hell is that small cob cross going to produce a decent elementary test?". Its funny really as many are quick to judge before seeing ceaser being worked. I've had it from people at the yard and STILL have the odd livery coming to watch or staring as they walk past the menage where I am working Ceaser.

So what, I am a 21-year-old riding a pony. Does it matter? Does it make a difference? Usually we stop all staring when Ceaser goes on to win his Elementary class with a percentage in the very high 60's beating a lovely 16.2h.

I know many adults that ride ponies and do it because they prefer it. I will be honest in saying I just don't gel with horses. I have many opportunities to ride one and am often being pressured by my boyfriend and dad to ride my dads 16.2h TB ex racer and school him to affiliate. In all honesty? I don't want to. I am quite happy on my ponies. It doesn't make me any less of a rider because I will quite happily get on a horse for someone having difficulty but on the other hand I will also quite happily get on a little pony who is being difficult.

Many top show producers are adults on ponies and although Ceaser may not be a big 16.2hh warmblood type he is still working at the same dressage level as some of them.

I wouldn't like to trust children riding Ceaser though and often you will find ponies that just aren't suitable for children. I have been told many of times that Ceaser is a horse stuck in a small body and many believe he rides more like a horse.

I will leave this there and comment more when the magazine article I am featuring in comes out but next time you see an adult riding a pony, don't snigger - because often the ponies are more difficult than horses. Maybe you're the one whose taken the easy route?

I have included some photos of me riding my ponies and one of me on my dads horse, just to show adults CAN ride ponies.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Horse riding is a popular sport, which all kinds of people enjoy. It is a great combination of exercise and pleasure for all ages. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced rider it is essential that you know about the horse riding equipment.

    Bryce Canyon National Park

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig