Introducing "Hundlebys Lovatt First Sight"

I haven't introduced my new little project properly and I am dying to show him off.

"Hundlebys Lovatt First Sight", Frosty is a 14.1hh New Forest x Cob (we think). He is 5 years old, was backed at 3 and then left to mature in a field for 2 years. I don't really know a lot about his history and although I know he was backed I'm not sure what he has done.

My initial plan with him was to go right back to basics and take it really slow with him but Dad has given me 6 weeks to get him ready for the riding school so on the day he arrived I thought I would test the waters and throw scary things at him.

So far he has taken everything in his stride, he's had a saddle on, lunges in a bridle, lunges with side reins and I have leant over him whilst he is walking. I really don't think that re-backing him will be a problem as he is such a kind little pony that he wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone, its just his nerves that are getting in the way.

As I said, I am not sure about his past and I wish I knew. His nerves are the main problem standing in the way at the moment. If there are more than two people stood around him he panics and doesn't like groups. I have also found that if you rush over to him he panics and you need to approach slowly. This could be because he is in a new place with new surroundings, smells and people but I am hoping he will learn to trust soon.

Frosty is my 6 week project and I am very excited to have the opportunity to bring another youngster on. I have been given this opportunity before, both with Ceaser and Sara my 12.2hh but never have I been given a deadline. Although the pressure is on I am loving every moment of it and in just three days notice a huge difference in Frosty.

I will be blogging about Frostys progression throughout the next few weeks and how he is getting on. This weekend he has been lunged for half an hour every day and I have leant over his back both whilst standing and in walk. As well as this I have been walking him in-hand around the yard to try and get him used to different surroundings. Already I have had plenty of offers to buy him and in just three days could have sold him a few times over. I am back at university now and wont be home until Friday so he is having four days off to relax in the field and take everything in from the weekend.




I think it is safe to say, this little sweetie wont be going anywhere!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig