War horse, good or bad?


Upon hearing that Speilberg was making War Horse in to a movie I must admit I wasn't sure.
I was roughly 14 when I read the book by Michael Morpurgo. A family member purchased it me for at Christmas as I was experiencing the loss of one of my horses and she felt it would be a good read for me. I remember crying the whole way through to the point where the pages where crinkled and tear sodden. At the time I preferred this story to that of the famous Black Beauty and vowed it would stay my number one book. Although, with no desire to read again because of the reminder of the pain of loosing a horse so close to me still being raw, I put the book away and forgot about it.
That was until in November of 2011 when I saw an advertisement poster in my local cinema that War Horse was coming to the big screen. I eagerly turned to my Partner Mark and told him "we ARE going to see this".
The day arrived, and I knew I would need tissues. If the film was anything like the book I knew I would plenty of tissues and possibly a good shoulder to cry on. Do not get me wrong though, I am not one that usually likes film adaptations of books. I am what you call a proper book worm and would rather lock myself in my room reading than going to the cinema to watch something on the big screen, surrounded by people crunching and munching away at popcorn. Call me old fashioned.
As soon as this fantastic film started I could feel myself welling up. I knew what was coming, and knew we were about to join Joey in a courageous journey of growing up and experiencing life during the World War II. Yes we've heard stories from our grandparents about how they coped, but not often have we found ourselves experiencing just what those poor animals went through and how they fought for survival and helped both countries during their battle.
From the moment Albert claps eyes on Joey we knew the tissues were going to be needed. The bond between horse and owner that we experience on a daily basis is fantastically shown and Speilberg did a brilliant job in showing just how attached you become.
Personally I feel a lot of the scenes at the very beginning were a bit slow, and it was only when Albert began to bond with Joey that I felt drawn to this movie.
The sense of loss was fantastically shown by
Jeremy Irvine (Albert) and I do not feel they could have picked a better character.
The emotional scenes were obviously so well thought out by Speilberg, and we were able to sympathies with every characters sense of loss. The true consequences of the wars are shown and delivered in a way that I have never experienced in a film before.
During the film we experience Alberts longing to find Joey again, and the situations he puts himself in and the lengths he goes to just to be reunited with his beloved horse once again. A situation that many horse owners with sympathies with.
During this we also see how Joey is affected by the war, and how the trust he had in Albert saves his life many of times.
I was thankful for the odd joke, and humorous scenes, as without them I feel the film would have taken a too serious note, and been just that bit too bleak. During these scenes I found myself laughing through my tears, as well as spending the majority of the time sobbing like a baby.
Not only does Speilberg capture the situations families had to endure during the World War II but also the consequences it bought on the whole of the nation, rather than just the odd person.
A scene I particulary liked was when the Germans and English stopped to help one another cut Joey free. For those who have not read the book, I am sure many were thinking that poor Joey would have died a very horrible death out in no mans land, but again Speilberg captures the true moment when both countries united as one to do good.
The moment when Albert and Joey are reunited is a moment that every animal lover sitting in that dark cinema can relate to, and I am sure during that scene there would have been no dry eyes. The way in which Albert instantly knows it is Joey shows the bond and devotion he has to his horse, and in comparison we see that despite all that happened, Joey never forgot his main boy.
The creation of this film is a stunning adaption of the book and upon the credits rolling, through my sobs I found myself saying "it was nearly as good as the book". For me books will never be beaten, there is nothing better than sitting in a room and putting yourself in that story and imagining you are there, but this film almost does the same. You are dragged in to experience the sense of loss from a boy who has just lost his best friend, you are dragged in to experience the consequences the Wars had on many, and you are also dragged in to experience just how families and loved ones coped whilst their children were off fighting for their country.
This fantastic film gives you everything you need and want from a film. If you need a good cry, or you simply want to see a brilliant, remarkable journey one boy and his horse undertake then be sure to watch War Horse.

I give it 4 out of 5.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig