The kick start of my career


When I was 14 I had my first story published in a national magazine - Pony Magazine. I had entered a competition to win story of the month, and although I didn't hold much hope I was adamant I would win that £40 prize.
The criteria of winning story of the month was that your story had to be a real experience and a recent event. At the time I was experiencing the loss my much loved Granddad, and my horse becoming poorly. Up until this point I had never experienced a poorly horse, and was left feeling shattered by what could happen, and what if's.
I had always had a passion for writing, and so the journey of kick starting my career into Journalism began. I decided to enter this competition and just "see". Unknown to me the very moment I received a letter through my letterbox telling me I had won would be the start of a dream and career for me.
I remember seeing my story, my photos and most importantly my name in the magazine. I remember sitting down, in between sobs of happiness and loss of my granddad that I vowed I would make a career out of this. It was at that moment I told my parents "when I grow up, I want to be an Equine Journalist". And, true to my word, here I am, some roughly six or seven years later trying to get my big break into the equine journalism industry.
Sadly, two years after my story was published my beloved gorgeous all Black Thoroughbred Amy lost her battle against the many illnesses she experienced during her short but fulfilling life. I was the one holding her and stroking her kind face when the vet gave her that dreaded injection that would end her life there. I remember holding her head and telling her how much I loved her and how I would make her proud of me. With that she kicked her front legs out, and slowly closed her beautiful, kind, brown eyes. I believe I owe everything to both her and my Granddad for the way in which my career began. Without the experience of that very day I was told Amy would die if she did not eat in the next 24 hours, and me begging my Granddad to help, I would not have had a real life experience to share with the rest of the world. My precious girl, and my courageous Granddad helped me get my foot on that ladder, and without them I truly believe I would not be where I am today.
For that I have them both to thank.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig