The 12 days of Christmas. 12 equine products I couldn't live without. Number 3....!

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me 12 equine products I (Ceaser) couldn't live without!

The third product I want to recommend is Chestnut Horse Feeds, not only for their fantastic feed but brilliant customer service.

The avid readers of my blog will already know that I had energy level problems with Ceaser for quite a while, so when I found Chestnut feeds it was a refreshing change. 

I first heard of Chestnut feeds from fellow Charles James Fox sponsor, Show jumper, Tori Twite who speaks very highly of their feed and what they have to offer. Then when I was interviewing Geoff Billington and Oliver Townend last week on their Edge of Glory Tour, Chestnut Feeds came up in conversation regularly and I thought if its good enough for their horses then it was definitely worth looking at. 

The lovely Lisa from Chestnut Feeds agreed to do a yard visit once she returned off the Edge of Glory tour to show me the feeds and talk through all of my horses requirements. This was a year ago and we have since not looked back!

Upon meeting Lisa I told her I was fed up of having to feed my six horses all different and individual feeds. Of course I understood Ceaser couldn't have the same feed as my Thoroughbred and my laminitic pony couldn't have the same as the good-doer pony... However I was sure we were spending ample amounts of money on various types of feeds when in reality, there must be a way of doing it differently.

The experts working at the company have designed the feed range with palatability in mind and have carried out extensive research to ensure they only offer feed that is both nutritionally balanced and appetising. Each feed has been made with individual horses in mind.

The feed includes:

NO Chemically processed ingredients 
NO syntehtic materials
NO by-products from industrial processes
NO Animal by-products or fishmeal

Chestnut Feeds also offer a unique Bulk Bin Feeding System that enables you to pick the size bin you want; either small or large and that is then delivered straight to your door with the feed of your choice in. When your bin is running low you simply place your next order and they will replace the empty bin with a full one. 


I told Lisa that I wanted Ceaser on a feed that provided him with enough energy to compete in the type of competitions he does, such as affiliated level dressage, but not get fizzy on it. I have noticed lately he's been getting a "Lucozade effect" type of energy where he'll have a sudden burst, take off, spook and then 10 minutes later have no energy left. I explained I needed something that had a slow release energy but something I could rely on to provide with him enough to compete at 3-day competitions as well as keep his condition. 

As well as this I needed something for the riding school ponies, as well as my old laminitic pony and the thoroughbred that could get fizzy at the sight of oats. 

Lisa was absolutely fantastic and together we sat down, worked out what I am feeding the horses now, how much I am spending and what in reality they all require as individual feeding needs. 

Ceaser is on their Alpha plus which is a digestible balanced blend of alfalfa, oil and cereals complete with vitamins and minerals. 

What I like is that it is not only suitable for competition horses but also veterans - so I have something that is almost made uniquely to suit Ceasers needs. As well as this, one of their bins lasts me about 5 months so I am making a huge saving! I have been on Chestnut feeds just over a year now and I am still only on Ceaser's third bin! 

The riding school ponies are on Chestnut Lite. Its low in sugar molasses but still has all the vitamins and minerals needed for good condition. 

My thoroughbred is on to Alfa Easy which is a slow releasing energy food that has low starch and high fibre meaning it helps to avoid over exuberant behaviour and maintain and even temperament. It is also suitable for ponies at risk of laminitis!

All of the feed I am now feeding is a complete feed so there is no more hassle of having to buy different Hi-Fi for different ponies and then a different mix to suit each one. Whilst running a very busy riding school and livery yard its hard to keep a tab on what each pony is having and keeping track of ordering all their feed. At least now we can worry less and know that our feed will be delivered when we need it.

I would highly recommend Chestnut Horse Feeds to anyone looking at changing their horses feed and wanting a balanced diet but still with all the added goodness. For those who went to the Edge of Glory Tour you cannot deny how good Geoff's horses looked and all of his are fed on Chestnut Feeds! 

To view the website for more information please visit their website.  Don't forget to quote "Sian Lovatt" when you buy your feed though please! 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig