Update on Ceaser and introducing the lovely Chester

It occurred to me this morning that I haven't done an update on Ceaser for quite some time now and rather rudely I haven't introduced the lovely new addition; gentle giant, Chester.

Ceaser is going absolute fantastic, I cannot wait to get him out doing some dressage and showing now the weather has cleared up a little. Whilst the initial plan was to dressage him over the winter in preparation for more veteran classes throughout the summer, the snow caused some disruptions and so I decided to give him a couple of weeks off competing and allow us both to have some fun.

As a result of this we have been doing a lot more hacking, jumping and pole work on top of our usual schooling sessions. However, we are now on track - providing the snow stays away - and our season is due to start in 2 weeks time once I return from my Birthday treat, a weekend away in the New Forest!

I was rather surprised on my Birthday to receive the lovely news that I was in the top 10 of the Equestrian Social Media awards nominations and through to the second and final round. This has been an amazing achievement for me and to be quite frank, I don't think it has even sunk in yet!

Mark and I have been having great fun with Ceaser, recording my required acceptance speech should I win. Whilst the creating of the video caused endless amounts of blood, sweat and tears (well not exactly, but still...) I think it is safe to say all three of us had an enjoyable time having a play with the camera and have some real good 'bloopers' to share with you all in a few weeks time! They are, simply priceless.

Ceaser's schooling and summer showing preparation is going well. Those that read my blog will know I was having a difficult time a couple of months ago deciding what type of bit to put him in for any level of dressage. For showing he is in a showing type Pelham and usually for dressage he was in a snaffle, for all levels. However, I was finding I wasn't able to get enough collection from him in a snaffle as he had a tendency to take a hold and almost say "I don't need you Mum, I can do it..." which meant we weren't reaching 8's in our collections in tests, yet in a clinic when the pressure was off he was - and I was told he had the ability to go higher!

So, after trying a snaffle and a flash - and rearing our way around the arena, that idea went out the window as it became evident Diva, Ceaser doesn't like a flash on and so I purchased a double bridle. He goes beautifully in this and just like the showing pelham it allows me to really get a super collection before an extension so I can show off his paces perfectly.

Still, this didn't sort out my problem that double bridles are not allowed in any tests under Elementary level. Upon asking my riding instructors advice she asked what bit I school him in at home when I'm just having a "play". When I'm not schooling for anything particular he is in a 3-ring-gag on the second hole because he can be strong when jumping, hacking or sometimes coming down from a canter to trot.

Evidently this is where our problem was and I needed to start and do everything (apart from hacking!) in a snaffle. Easier said than done at first when as he spooked I had nothing to pull him up with and for a few weeks it caused onlookers quite a laugh. However, I have learnt to use my bum a little better, sit deeper and as he goes to take a hold, remind him I am there and we are here to work.

 He has been in the snaffle almost 2 months and schooling beautifully in it. So much so, I think we are ready to go out and do our first dressage test of the year once I get back from my weekend away with Mark. The double bridle will be staying at home so I can see just how much he has improved and get critical feedback on areas that still need time spending on them.

In addition to changing Ceaser's bit I decided to buy him an Equilbrium Massage Pad just incase he did have any underlying problems that was causing him to not want to collect when asked. I talked myself into spending the money by arguing he was 17, was worked most days of the week without many days off and so not only deserved the Massage Pad but it would do his joints and muscles good too.

The pad is clinically proven to promote relaxation and back flexibility as well as helping to increase stride length. It could be an absolute fluke, but since using the pad Ceaser has really started to lengthen a lot more when asked. Whilst he was known for his "flicky toes" before, he is now also striding out into the extension and using his back end much more.

I like to think the pad is working wonders and I ensure I put it on the low setting both before and after I ride to warm up and cool down his muscles. For anyone in two-minds whether or not to get one I would recommend it any day! They are well worth the money.

Now, onto the lovely new addition, Chester. Again, if you are an avid read of my blog you will have noticed that almost a year ago I went to ride a very old friends new horse and we had such a fantastic day reliving our younger years I blogged about it.  So, you can imagine my surprise when almost 12 months later, Chester's owner got in touch and asked whether or not we would like to take Chester on for a while whilst her son was undergoing surgery.

I don't even know why she bothered to ask, who could turn down such a lovely boy! And so...Chester travelled all the way from Leicester to his new home with us in Lincolnshire a few Saturday's ago where he has settled in rather quickly and became very good friends with my dads ex-racehorse, Khalisa.

Rather tall at, 17hh, he is a lot different to what I am used to but it is doing me the world of good schooling something very different to Ceaser! Chester's owner doesn't know much about his past, apart from that he hurdle raced and because of that absolutely adores his jumping.

The plan is to take him out to a few dressage competitions, firstly at Intro level and then move up accordingly. He gets a little stressed when travelling, but nothing too bad, so fingers crossed he soon realises that going in a lorry doesn't mean going to race.

Chester lost a little condition whilst travelling to us as he sweated a little, so upon arrival we straight away put him onto Chestnut Horse Feeds and the difference in him is incredible. Already he is building muscle up in all of the right places and schooling beautifully. His owner, Sam, still comes to visit him most weekends and has allowed us to use him for the advanced riding lessons if we need to. So far he has been a hit with all of our clients!

I hope that in just a few weeks time we will be ready to make our debut on the dressage circuit - watch this space!
Chester showing he is a gentle giant and not phased by anything! Only 2nd time ridden at his new home. 

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig