Equestrian aims for 2013 - Part 1 - Marie Howarth

Thank you to all the replies I have had regarding your equestrian aims for 2013! I have been inundated with emails from lots of you wanting to share your goals for the coming year. Each and every one has been lovely to read whether it be wanting to learn to canter or tackle your first cross-country course.

As promised, I have picked a few that stood out to me and will be posting them for you all to read over the next few days. However, there is still time to send yours in if you haven't already so don't worry!

Starting off this new week long feature is Marie Howarth. After being left totally blind since the age of six, Marie has always wanted to learn to ride. She vividly remembers reading her mother's horse riding books as a child and always knew it was an ambition she wanted to fulfil.

In May 2010, Marie decided it was time to tackle her dream and learn to ride. Despite having some very up and down moments, she has never looked back and after being left inspired by the Paralympics in the summer is hoping to have a go at Dressage herself in 2013......

"At the beginning of 2012, I was ready to quit riding. I was frustrated with myself and couldn't grasp canter and quitting seemed like the only option. But I'm so glad i worked through that issue because I achieved more this year than I ever thought possible. 

I started private lessons in the school with our riding school instructor which for most must not seem like a big deal, but for a totally blind rider and with an instructor who has never taught someone who is blind, the fact we've come this far is absolutely fantastic. 


 Starting my lessons was the biggest achievement until only last weekend when I accomplished something, I never dreamed possible. Most people take for granted hacking out on their horses but for me, without any sight at all, it was something I daren't dream I could ever do. But with the young girl who has taken me from being lead in walk, trot and canter, to slowly releasing the reins and allowing me to grow into the rider I'm becoming, I rode out with her on a two hour hack on routes I'd never done before. It was a huge success and something I look forward to doing more in the new year! 


 2013 poses many possibilities and I've already set a goal in mind for next year and that is to physically learn and perform a dressage test in our riding school's arena. It'll just be an intro test but that is my main goal for 2013. Whatever else happens is an absolute bonus!"


I love catching up with Marie every couple of days to find out how her riding is getting on. I wish you every bit of luck for 2013 Marie - don't forget, even if I have to travel to you, you WILL ride that Dressage test!

To follow Marie in her endeavours take a look at her brand new website which gives a lovely insight into making her dream come true. 

To submit your equestrian aims for 2013 tweet me @FurryMane or comment below. 

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig