Another successful weekend

I will never get used to someone saying to me "Oh, I wish I'd not entered this class now I know you're in it" or "I'm never entering another class you're in."

I remember, back when I was small (yes I was once a child) and riding my 12.2hh, better known as "You've been tango'd" out on the show circuit. In a working hunter class, gymkhana games or show jumping class she would ace it and we would always come away with red ribbons, but in a showing class like Style and Appearance we would always be at the bottom of the line up and I was used to it. She jumps like a trooper, never touches a pole, refuses, runs out, is as fast as lightning and 'knows her job' but when it comes to showing she gets bored and I was never well turned out as a child. Having a mum that wasn't interested in horses proved difficult in my younger days. I never had someone following my every footstep with a tea towel wiping my boots or helping me plait, I did it all myself. So, lets face it, a nine year olds judgement of a well turned out pony isn't going to be up to the standards of the judges.

To be fair we went quite far, qualifying for and competing at county level shows and jumping 3ft working hunter courses. BUT, converting from a show jumper to a show rider is difficult and suddenly I found myself plaiting with a needle and thread rather than boring old bands and having to coordinate tack. It was a expensive, difficult conversion, but one I found myself enjoying.

So, I started to win showing classes in stead of show jumping classes and was always immaculately turned out for working hunter.

This weekend was no different. Ceaser (known as Billy the kid on the show circuit) has been going brilliantly lately. Rather than schooling in my snaffle at home I have been schooling in my show pelham that I compete in and think it is making quite a difference. Now out at a competition its not such a harsh change of bits for him to deal with.

First to go into the ring was the lovely coloured I have at the moment. She is a 14.2hh, rising 3, tri-coloured mare. Nothing bothers her and many cannot believe her age when I tell them. She certainly takes everything in her stride and is so willing to please. She went to her first show last weekend and won both of her classes so I was looking forward to the day with her. I entered her in to the youngstock coloured class had some very big competition in, with 10 entered. In my opinion all of them could have won the class and I am sure it was a very hard class to judge. Taysha did a lovely trot round and we were pulled into 4th place. I knew for our individual trot we would have to do better to be pulled in higher. Her paces make her look like she is floating and so for the second trot I 'put my running boots on' and asked her to extend more. Obviously the judge liked what she saw as we were then pulled in to 2nd place and invited back to the championship. The judge couldn't have complemented her more and commented on her fantastic mannerism for a youngster.

There was some fantastic quality in the championship as 1st and 2nd from every class are invited back to take part so I didn't hold much hope seeing as it was only Taysha's 2nd show. When the judges were deciding on who to pick I honestly couldn't look and was stunned to find her pointing at us for the Reserve In-Hand Champion spot! What a brilliant surprise. I honestly could not have asked more from Taysha and was thrilled with her.

Just as I was about to go into Ceasers class the rain absolutely began to pour and the horrendous thunder and lightning started. The show organisers began to discuss cancelling the rest of the classes but it was decided to carry on. Despite the constant crackling of thunder and bolts of lightning Ceaser produced a fantastic, foot perfect show piece, with a walk to canter included to take 2nd place and best turned out in the Ridden Veteran class.That was another huge surprise as included in the class was some lovely big hunter types that often win this sort of class.

Next up was Family Pony, a class I just absolutely love doing because it simply describes Ceaser. In the go round, whilst it was pouring with rain and still thunder and lightning the judge asked us to ride on the buckle and do lots of transitions without taking up the reins to show that the pony was a real family pony. This included walk to canter, trot to canter, walk to trot and so on. The ground was slippy and I was very apprehensive about doing it without having a contact in case he slipped but as if he knew he steadied up and produced some lovely transitions for me. The judge pulled us in 1st place and again congratulated me on how well Ceaser was turned out and how perfect his manners were despite the weather.

Getting such a complement is always one that I enjoy as I do put a lot of hard work into my horses, their fitness, feeding regimes and schooling plan. I have only had Taysha for a few days now and to come away from such a big show with those show results is simply fantastic. As with Ceaser, to win a class and come 2nd in another at a show like Revesby Country Fair is brilliant; a lot of county level riders use that show as a warm up for bigger shows so the competition is always quite tough.

After I received 2nd in the Ridden Veteran I had a few comments about people not wanting to enter classes anymore if Ceaser and I were entered, but I really hope we do not put people off! You always win some and loose some, but that is showing for you. I put a 100% into Ceaser and showing him so getting rewards like the above is lovely.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig