"Oh not you again, we'll be last then!"

I'm not going to lie, when someone said that to me yesterday I didn't know what to think. It is nice to arrive at a showground and be a 'threat' to someone, but then at the same time is that what I want to be? Do I want to be like one of those people I dread seeing at a show and thinking to myself  "Well, I may as well go home".

Yesterday the pressure was on me and Ceaser big time. When he was about 4 years old he had a lovely girl who had him on loan for a few years and up until yesterday she hadn't seen him for roughly 10 years. It was so nice to see her and her mum again after such a long time and even better still that they obviously cared for him when they had him as upon seeing him shed a few tears. I had never realised when I was younger that they thought so much of him and it was amazing to hear of the stories they had to tell about him that I can't remember because I was so young.

Since Ceaser was poorly a few weeks back now, I haven't done much jumping with him as I had wanted to take everything slowly, but after putting a cross pole up earlier on in the week and him flying over it with no bother I decided I had to stop panicking and worrying whether or not he was fit enough and start jumping him again.

So, off I went to walk the Novice Pony working hunter class at Arena UK show on Sunday. I must admit I had a slight panic as my phobia of spreads arose again and sure enough, the first jump was a spread. Although, I don't know why I worried though as Ceaser flew over the first and went on to produce a lovely clear round over planks, fillers, brush fences and more spreads. I always think with Working-Hunter that if you go clear you're in with a good chance of getting placed, but after I saw how many went clear I knew I had to pull out all the stops in the second phase, the ridden show and prove that Ceaser deserved that top spot.

As soon as I asked for trot in our ridden show it all just felt amazing. He wasn't strong, stuffy and felt right on form. After one loop of a figure of eight in canter I decided to go for it and ask for a walk to canter for the change of rein. Although I had perfected this in the school at home I have found that Ceaser is reluctant to do it anywhere else because his mind is often focused elsewhere but because of how well he had been going I decided to push my luck and go for it. I admit, as I sat deep and put my outside leg back I tensed in hope he would hop in to canter and sure enough my boy didn't let me down and proceeded to canter and then show a lovely gallop down the long side to finish our show.

I was thrilled to be pulled in first against some lovely moving and stunning ponies. Ceaser never fails to amaze me and it really feels like whatever show we attend he tries his damned hardest to please, which is what makes him even more special.

After posing for lots of photos for the photographer I trotted off to the Riding Club pony class which was waiting for me. Again, Ceaser pulled out all the stops, produced a lovely show piece and again we were pulled in 1st place.

Next was Ridden Veteran but after a mix up I found myself in the Style & Appearance class up against some beautifully turned out horses and ponies. It didn't initially click to me that when I heard a child telling the judge her ponies age she had said 7. At the time I thought "Ah she must be wrong, this is the veteran class" but low and behold I was in the wrong class. After beckoning the steward over she kindly explained this was Style & Appearance and what did I want to do. I thought that I was in there so I may as well stay but didn't have much hope. Once again though I was more than surprised when the judge pulled us in 3rd, in front of some stunning horses and ponies.

In the ridden veteran we were initially pulled in 5th after the go-round, but with me being the type of person I am, I aimed to produce a lovely show piece which resulted in us being pulled in at 3rd for the final result. Ceaser was the only pony to pulled in within the top 6 so I was really pleased.

Despite not being pulled in for any of the championships I was still really happy with how the day had gone. All classes we entered all had lots in and the competition was very tough.



Ceaser is now having a weeks holiday and only some light lunging work whilst I go away and also soak up the sun in Malta! I think we both deserve a short holiday after his great performances over the past couple of weeks. 

Although I don't like being the person people dread turning up at competitions, I am so proud to be able to hold my head up high and say all work done is my own and I rarely ask for help.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig