A hidden gem in Malta

If you're as much of a horse fanatic as I am then the thought of going on holiday and not riding a horse, or even touching one for 7 days is a daunting process. Withdrawal symptoms are more than possible and to prevent these, I highly recommend getting out of the sun for a few hours and finding somewhere to ride.

I remember the first time I rode whilst in Malta. I was 7 years old, and on holiday with my Grandparents, who thankfully were equally as horse nutty as I am. They always respected how much I not only wanted to, but enjoyed being around horses. Being at the stables was and always has been my happy place.

So, when Grandad drove past the hidden gem of Golden Bay Horse Riding which is situated right next door to Golden Sands in Malta, he stopped the hire car, enquired how much it was for me to get my horsey fix and sent me on my way!

The first horse I rode with them was a gorgeous dapple grey pony that stood roughly at 14 hands. Ironically his name was dappled and also the horse that unleashed my love for dapple grey ponies.

The 2-hour ride on dappled will always stick in my memory, from waving good-bye to Grandad who was looking increasingly nervous that he'd just sent me off with complete strangers, on a strange horse, to remembering the terrain we rode across and how close I remember being to the cliff edge and being in complete awe of what I was seeing and experiencing.

In fact it was that good, I went back year after year. The following two years I requested Dappled and soon after that it was time for me to ride something bigger - a beautiful black horse called Pepsi that stunned me from the moment I met him. Following that I was greeted with a coloured cob type pony as I walked on the stable yard that went by the name of Del-Boy. A cheeky chap he reminded of my horse back home and I asked to ride him and instantly fell in love.

Year after year, I've visited Golden Bay Horse Riding and some trips to Malta have seen me visit for a horse fix more than once.

The rides are different to anything we can experience in England. You'll ride over terrain you would never expect your horse in the UK to tackle, but these horses are more than used to.

If you fancy something special whilst you're there then you can book more than your average hour ride, by booking onto the 90 minute sunset ride. Offering picturesque views of the sun setting down onto the Maltese Golden cliffs overlooking Gozo, you won't be disappointed.

Catering for beginners to experienced riders, there's horses for all abilities and those that can ride and want something a little more, there is the opportunity to canter where its safe.

If you're visiting Malta then I highly recommend looking them up and popping in. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig