Dressage Championships

Last weekend saw Ceaser and I heading to Boston for the Tack & Togs Championships, which I had qualified for months earlier but completely forgotten about. After the usual, "Do I, Don't I?" scenario when it came to entering I decided to man up and just do it. It's not the championship setting I don't like, it's remembering my tests - and stupid as it may sound, it petrifies me having to remember them. I know, I really should get over it.

The championships was set over two days, so I had a test to ride on the Sunday and then the same test again on the Monday. Depending on our placings we were given marks, from 1st gaining 10 points, down to 10th place gaining 1 point. The person with the highest marks over the two days won the championship.

Sunday went well - Overall I think I was most nervous about Sunday. I was riding Prelim 17 first thing - a test I had never ridden before. Our warm up went well. Again I suffered the "the warm up is too busy" nerves which always seem to hit me when the warm up is swarming, but I just tried to keep everything steady and stay out of peoples way. Lets face it, they were bigger than me!

The judge was one I had never heard of before so was quite looking forward to being judged by someone new, which is what I have wanted for so long now, just to get a different perspective on Ceaser. They were reading scores over the speakers and everything was online within seconds because it was a championship, so it was a little nerve-wracking hearing how well others had done whilst I was trotting around the arena. There was some good scores and I was adamant we wouldn't fair well against them.

Overall the test went nicely. To be critical I rushed it again, but maybe one day i'll get in that arena, slow down and breathe. For now, maybe not.

As we headed back to the lorry to untack Ceaser and wait for Amy who was coming to help me warm up for the Championship class later on I had a quick flick on my phone to see if the scores were up. I honestly could not believe my eyes, we were leading the class with 70.38%! Unfortunately the last rider pipped me to the post with 73%, but I was still over the moon with that - what a score! Once I got my sheet I honestly could have fainted, there, standing out like a sore thumb was three 8's and a NINE!! A 9 on a double pointer….!! Lots of big pats for CP and on to concentrate on my second test.

Before warming up for the next test, Amy and I went down to the arena where she wanted me to focus on imagining where and how I would ride the test. She told me to go in that arena and not be sorry for being there, but to aim for that red rosette and ride like I wanted it. She then also got me to talk through the test, explaining what I would do within each movement, what I needed to ensure he was doing and how I could gain 8's.

When warming up for my second we then focused a lot on doing lots of transitions within the paces, so lots of trot to walk, walk to trot and then collecting and lengthening the trot and canter. It worked quite well and I felt I had him more than the morning so was quite confident.

All too soon it was my name being called and Amy and Mark took their place in the seating area. This was it. Being critical I rushed again, but I was really pleased with myself for remembering the test and having the balls to come out and do it - which 12 months ago I wouldn't have had because of my self confidence. Overall I was pleased with how it went and thought just under 67% was a fair score, which put us into 8th place.

*

Monday saw an even earlier start for us as my first test was at 9am and the next at 9:30! However it worked out that the earlier the start, the more chance I had of the warm up being empty. I tried to remember everything Amy had said and put it into practice. I visualised where I wanted to be, what I wanted to do and what marks I wanted to gain from that movement. Judge who was judging hasn't always given us great marks, so was quite sceptical of what we would get. I just knew I needed to ride it like the day before and we would be fine.

It felt much nicer than the day before as I made a big point of half halting and slowing down when needed, using my corners to my advantage and generally remembering to breathe and enjoy being there. Quick check of my phone once I had dismounted and was thrilled to see another 70.38% on our results - the exact same score as the day before, but this time with higher collectives for my riding! With two great scores like that under our belt we had definitely qualified for regionals - so I had every reason to celebrate.

With barely any time until my next time I took Ceaser back into the warm up which was becoming busy now. Again I focused on transitions in the paces and tried to get him just to lift a little so he was working more from behind. Once again it was my turn all too quickly and Mark took his place in the seating area. I made a big point this time of just slowing down, which really seemed to have an effect. The test felt much slower, more together and generally better. I was really disappointed that Ceaser dropped off my leg a little in the canter transition so just backed off a little - however once he realised what I was asking he switched back on for the rest of the test. I must work on slowing down, but keeping him with me and active.

Unfortunately judge wasn't over impressed and gave us just short of 65%. Very harsh marker I thought - and not just on my behalf but also other tests I watched seemed to get harsh marks. We were all roughly in the same region and I was left in 10th place after this.

Overall was thrilled with Ceaser - took him home and put him in the field. Couldn't believe it when I phoned Sheepgate to see where we had been placed and they said 10th and we needed to come back for prize-giving! Was absolutely chuffed to bits. With roughly 25 entrants in the class I didn't expect a placing, but 1st-10th were asked to attend, so we rushed back.

Couldn't have asked for anything more from Ceaser and it was a learning curve for both of us. Our success of late is making me strive for me and I don't want to stop yet. This weekend we're at the BD Senior camp where I'm hoping we'll pick up lots of handy tips and then it's time to give the debut of our Dressage to Music floor plan - but more on that another time.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig