BD Elementary debut - a good weekend!

After a small confidence knock in the previous weeks test I needed something to lift me back to cloud nine and what better way than to go out and attempt our first affiliated Elementary test.

I knew I would't get much time to ride during the week because of a hectic week with work and then I was filming and interviewing Saturday in Leicester so it was a big risk booking in for our first Elementary. My logic behind the madness was compared to the previous week I wouldn't get the opportunity to ride and over think things, so maybe little practice was what I needed.

I have no idea if it was the weather or the different venue, but Ceaser warmed up 1000 times better. He was much more relaxed, willing and forward. Every movement I asked for I got. I started by warming up on a long rein, then slowly increasing the pressure and asking for some shoulder in and traver on both reins. To get him stepping through and working from behind I applied what Tracey had said the previous week. So, I slowed down, almost "grabbed" his hind leg with my outside right leg, lifted my hands and asked him to come up a little more to get that more uphill feeling and appearance. When I felt I had got it I started to work on the counter canter which Amy feels really helps to give him that "lift". I love the feeling I get from his medium trot once we've done some counter canter - it's like something clicks and everything feels amazing once I have 'got it'.

My times were only roughly 25 minutes apart which I think suites Ceaser better than a large break where I have time to untack. Novice 34 was up first and we finished on 65%. The medium trot didn't feel good enough and our scores reflected this. I can't remember the precise movement which came up before the medium, but instead of using the corner properly and preparing for it I rushed. Complete rider error and had I set him up better we probably would have got something more worthy. However overall I was pleased with the result and I know we still have more work to do on getting him uphill but we're getting there. We had some lovely comments as we were leaving the arena from spectators which was nice and really positive.

Next up was Elementary 42; a test we have ridden a few times at unaffiliated, but never at affiliated. I felt it was a nice way to break us into the affiliated Elementary's with something I was familiar with. The mediums felt better this time, although I don't feel he is strong enough to change the rein in medium trot yet. From my point of view he's right there with showing some medium trot strides, but we tend to lose balance at the end if I'm not careful so this test was very testing of whether I could keep him between my hand and legs to stop him from running. Our medium canters were spot on and I felt the lift on both reins from working to medium canter. The powerful feeling he gives when he really starts to use his backend properly is amazing - I'll never grow tired of it. I feel we were judged fairly and went on to score a respectable 63%. I was over the moon as it was an achievement to go out and do an affiliated Elementary test for me. A mere 12 months ago we were only thinking of doing affiliated prelims, now I feel there's no stopping us. Really, really pleased with him as if my calculations are right we have roughly 20 something BD points now and must be almost (if not already) qualified for regionals. To say we had 0 BD points in January, I don't think we have done too badly!

This week has been spent jumping as I have promised to take one of the liveries to a cross country event. I think Ceaser has secretly enjoyed a change as he has been flying over the jumps and enjoying an excuse to lift all four feet of the ground!

Our next BD event is in a couple of weeks time and until then we have a number of lessons and clinics booked in. I am thrilled to say my place on the senior camp in May has been confirmed too! One of the instructors for the weekend is my riding instructor from University who has heard so much about Ceaser but never met him - so I cannot wait to see what she has to say about him! I've told him he has to be on his best behaviour!
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig