Reporting at Royal Windsor Horse Show

I am so sorry that it has taken me a while to get this blog post finished and published. Time certainly flies when you're busy and before you know it, days turn into weeks.

As you all know, I was asked by Horse & Hound magazine to go to The Royal Windsor Horse Show at the beginning of May to cover the Mountain and Moorland in-hand and ridden classes over two days.

Friday saw some fantastic entries into the M&M in-hand classes and I don't know how the judges made the tough decisions as to who to give the red rosette to.

One combination that stood out to me was Debbie Barr with the 6-year-old bay stallion Okeleat Navigator owned by David Hodges and Julian Walters from Halstock & Blackertor Pony Stud.

Okeleat Navigator won the 4-year-old and over Dartmoor class as well as took overall champion in the Dartmoor section and then reserve supreme.

This gorgeous pony has already qualified for RIHS under saddle with Debbie's young daughter. The judge described him as a true stamp of a Dartmoor that was a clear winner from the beginning.

He definitely caught my eye from the start and from what I could hear at the ringside, he caught lots of onlookers' attention.

The ridden section had lots of strong classes, one of which was the BSPS Heritage Mountain & Moorland open leading rein class.

Ollie Fenton and the lovely grey, Oldacres Lilli, led by mum, Vanessa Fenton, were clear winners from the beginning as they produced a foot-perfect show piece for judges Mrs J K Bushell and Miss N Middlemas.

Ollie and Oldacres Lilli also qualified for RIHS at their attempt at the BSPS Area 4A show.

Overall I had a fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable time at Royal Windsor. It was such a learning curve for me sitting with judges throughout the two days and talking to the likes of Nigel Hollings about what he looks for from both horse and rider when in the show ring.

Fingers crossed I can put some of what I learnt into practice in the ring with Ceaser.

Whilst there, I was also lucky enough to see The Queen and her groom, as well as Clare Balding,
watch the Shetland Grand National and, of course, do some much needed shopping!

I would highly recommend Royal Windsor next year for all the family - there is plenty to see and do for all ages.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig