Dodson and Horrell Winter Mash - what did the expert think?

A few weeks back I was contacted by leading equine feed manufacturers, Dodson & Horrell about testing and reviewing their latest innovative product; Winter Health Mash.

The aim of the mash is to provide a warming herbal feed that supports the immune system and digestive function over the winter months.

Having owned horses for years now, I'm no stranger to the onset of winter and longer periods of time spent in stables, colder weather and more often leads to our four-legged friends loosing their appetite.  Additionally, with two veterans I'm always on the look out for a feed that can help support their immune system during a challenging time such as winter.

With added carrots, peas and herbs this brand new winter mash is ideal to get even the fussiest of horses to eat as well as an ideal way to disguise supplements and medicines if required. A source of oat and molasses free calories with 7.5% oil content, this palatable feed will also keep your horses coat shining throughout those dull winter months.

Additionally, with added effective levels of echinacea to support the immune system, this mash is ideal for ensuring your horse stays as healthy as possible during winter months when there is no goodness in the grass and more time is spent indoors.


What did the experts think?


With Ceaser getting well into his veteran years now, I'm more than fussy about what I feed him and ensuring he gets all the goodness out of his feed, where possible. 

Although we're not over the worst of the winter months, it's already been a long one with him getting recurring uveitis which caused a horrible eye ulcer that we struggled to get rid of. Unfortunately this resulted in several weeks of bute and days after days stabled, with limited turnout. 

Initially I was concerned he would loose condition from loss of appetite and at his age its something I didn't want to happen. Usually he's fed half a scoop of balancer and that does him, but with all the added stress on him, I was glad when Dodson and Horrell asked me to test their Winter Mash. 

Usually Ceaser is ridden most days and for roughly half an hour per day, but with his eye severely ulcered and the sunlight making it flare up, I was only able to ride as and when for a few weeks - so in the same breath, weight gain bothered me and I was conscious of getting his feed routine during this time right for him.

For me, I found the Winter Mash encouraged and enticed Ceaser to eat both his breakfast and dinner time meals. The fresh, herb aroma made it smell that good, I could have eaten it myself! Additionally, I liked that when mixed with his balancer, it made both a nice looking and smelling feed rather than mush which you often find with feeds you need to add water to. 

My primary concern was leaving our yard staff to make the feed. I'm always conscious with a feed that needs water adding to it, that there's enough water been added or it has been left to soak for long enough. Thankfully the Winter Mash needs only 10 minutes to soak, so by the time they had made the rest of the yards feeds it was good to go! 

Additionally, on the real cold and dark winter nights, when I felt he needed a 'winter warmer', I was confident that the Winter Mash just did that! All I did was add warm water instead of cold and it warmed him up. Other horse owners will know the satisfaction in being able to feed your horse something warm on cold December nights. 

During the initial box rest, all of us on the yard noticed Ceaser was slightly grumpy and to ride he felt lethargic and had barely any energy. None of us know the effects of painkillers such as Bute and antibiotics can have on the insides, so I felt comfortable in knowing I was adding something to his feed that was full of an immune system booster. 

Before long we all started to notice he was considerably brighter and to ride he felt fresher and seemed to have his mojo back after just a few weeks of being on the feed. Additionally I noticed his coat began to get its shine back - which was just as good as seeing the spring in his step return!

Since starting the trial with Ceaser and noticing the difference, I've put my other veteran on it and can already see a considerable difference after just a couple of weeks. Even better, a couple of our liveries have asked what I'm feeding and are keen to give it a go as well.

I cannot thank Dodson and Horrell enough for allowing me to trial the Winter Mash - it's certainly proved to be one of the most valuable feeds I've fed by far!

For more information on the Winter Health Mash, please visit the Dodson and Horrell website on: www.dodsonandhorrell.com or alternatively speak to one of the friendly and experienced nutritional advisors through the Nutritional Helpline - 0845 345 2627
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig