A day in the life of a journalist and show rider....

This past week has been absolute all go. Last Tuesday it was decided by Equestrian Life magazine that I would be covering the Pony Club Championships held at Cholmondeley Castle on the 16th and 17th. I could have stayed all weekend reporting but I had already previously planned to compete at Arena UK on the 19th with Ceaser.

The atmosphere at The Pony Club Championships was simply fantastic. I think if I had to describe it in one word though it would be electric. Everyone was buzzing and surprisingly enough I did not see one child cry. All were in good spirits and focused more on having a good time.

I don't think I'll ever get used to sitting in the "officials and sponsors" tents at competitions like the championships, having lunch with the rich and famous. Every time I mentioned I was a journalist everyone made the same "oooo" noise and told me how exciting it must be.

Yes, days like these make all the endless hours I spent in a lecture room for three years at university seem worthwhile. The blood, sweat and tears over lost work and a hard dissertation all suddenly now seem worth it, now I'm exactly where I want to be and doing exactly what I have always dreamed of doing.

Every person I met at The Pony Club Championships was willing to talk and answer all the questions I had. It does seem funny that without the press pass around my neck stating who I am, I'm just like everyone else. Yet, with my press pass I'm someone people want to talk to and are keen to be approached by. It is a lovely feeling, being able to make someones day by promising to try and get their photo in to a magazine or giving them a mention.

A particular Pony Club team didn't do too well in the mounted games but I promised I would try and get a photo of them in Equestrian Life and they were soon all smiles again. It is a lovely feeling and I am so fortunate to be able to give people a voice and show their beautiful ponies off.

Fingers crossed I am heading down to Cheshire this coming weekend to cover another Pony Club event. If you're there please tweet me @FurryMane and I will try and get round to meeting up with you to conduct a short interview. (I'm nice I promise!)

**

Saturday and Sunday saw me once again running around like a headless chicken. Because I had been away for the two previous days Ceaser was filthy from being out and in need of a good bath. Just as I was about to bath a livery asked me if I would take them on a 3 hour round trip (which ended in being more like 4/5 hours) to see a pony for sale. Of course I happily obliged and got home very late which meant bathing and plaiting a moody Ceaser who just wanted his tea!

Sundays heat was excruciating. If I had known it was going to be that hot I really wouldn't have gone to the show; but we did. Upon arrival we pulled four very sweaty ponies off the lorry. Even though our lorry has enough ventilation and windows it still gets very muggy in there when there is four horses on the lorry.

Anyway, this meant sponging Ceaser down once we had arrived at the show and hoping he would dry before our classes. Thankfully he did and still looked stunningly white for his class.

First up was Riding Pony which he usually does well in. Today he felt stuffy and simply like he couldn't be bothered. Which in all honesty was quite how I felt. The judged shocked me by being very thorough, checking all tack was clean, asking us to allow our horses to stretch in the go-round and then showing a gallop. The ring was small for the amount in the class and I would have liked to have shown a better gallop but knew I could save that for my show piece.

As usual I saw the competition in the class and knew I had to be one step ahead again, so out came my walk to canter in my individual show piece again. Despite Ceaser not being as quick as usual to hop in to the canter it still felt nice and we got our chance to produce a lovely forward gallop to finish off before reining back and saluting. The judge seemed pleased as she kept pointing to him when making her decision and I was thrilled to be pulled in 1st place.

By now the heat was exhausting and I felt like I could faint any minute in all my show gear.

In the Ridden Veteran we were once again up against the big hunter and show horse types that simply look amazing when turned out correctly. Ceasers show piece felt nice but I felt could have been more responsive. This reflected I think when we were pulled in a respectable 4th place. Still good considering the competition that we were up against.

So, after another pleasing day I went to check out my score sheets for the whole season at Arena UK. I am a member and aiming for the big trophies at the Presentation Evening. All season I have been working towards gaining points to win overall Champion in both classes and am pleased to say so far I am in the lead. I just need to do well at the final show which is a Championship show in September and I think I'll get it. Please all keep fingers crossed for me and Ceaser - I would be thrilled to win overall champion in both classes and will be working extra hard to gain the most points at the final show.

**

This Thursday I have a Polo lesson which if you remember me saying, my partner Mark purchased for me for my 21st birthday. I am quite excited at trying yet another new discipline and hopefully the weather holds out for me! I will let you all know how I get on.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig